Thread: How to 'run' programs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

How to 'run' programs?

So, still very new to Ubuntu and feeling my way. I am trying to get a connection working to my Humax box, but in order to do so, I need to run a program as administrator. Now I can get into the terminal and use sudo on some things, but I'm still learning the syntax etc.

What I'd like to know is how do I run a program from the terminal, and then how do I run it as an administrator. If I explore the folder (in Nautilus?), I get the program icon and if I click it twice, it runs the program. I want to be able to do this from the termianl though as I can then use sudo or gksudo (which is best?). If it has worked, I've attached a screen shot of the program I'm trying to run as administrator. It's windows based and so runs through Wine.

What I'm trying to achieve can be found here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=665773
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Re: How to 'run' programs?

As far as I know, if you're using WINE (and assuming the program runs okay under WINE), all you need to do is right-click on the executable and select 'Open With Wine' from the list of options.

If you need to be administrator then fire up a Terminal first and type;

gksudo nautilus
    This will run Nautilus (the graphical file browser) with admin rights.
    Useful Firefox Extensions | Learning The Shell | Ubuntu User #26220

Rig: ASRock Conroe 1333-D667, Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 @ stock (2 x 2.0Ghz), 2Gb PC2-5300 (667Mhz), On-board Video and Sound (for now).

Beans

Open a terminal and enter "cd /home/phil/Downlaods" to change to the correct folder, "gksudo wine humaxGUI" will run wine with this file.

Generally gksudo is used for programs with a gui and sudo for programs without a gui.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

sudo and gksudo essentially do the same thing (if you're typing commands into a terminal), but one asks for your password in the terminal, and the other asks for it in a graphical window.

From the manpages:

gksu is a frontend to su and gksudo is a frontend to sudo. Their primary purpose is to run graphical commands that need root without the need to run an X terminal emulator and using su directly.
    PS - Here's a tip: if you're ever stuck with a command, there's usually a manual page (manpage for short) associated with it. To read the manual page for a command, type
    Code:
    man <command>
    into the terminal, e.g.
    Code:
    man gksudo

Beans
    Distro

Thanks to both. The gksudo nautilus seems to have worked. The gksudo wine humaxGui did something, but no program appeared, so I don't know what it did. Brilliant! I now need to sort out the next issue which is why can't I 'see' my files on the Humax now, ah well, off we go again!