Thread: Question about ripping music CD's in Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Question Question about ripping music CD's in Ubuntu 8.10

Took me a while to figure out how to rip a music CD in 8.10. Now I see that you use Rhythmbox. My question is, how do you get Rhythmbox to auto rip music CD's when you insert them into the disc drive. Also does the Rhythmbox ripping do any error correction? I would not mind any suggestions for ripping music CD's. The main thing is that I have hundreds of CD's and some of them are scratched.

Beans

Re: Question about ripping music CD's in Ubuntu 8.10

I don't believe rhymthbox can auto do anything.
    Rubyripper does use cdparnanoia for error cor. and can be setup to auto run.

Basically you'd just insert the cd and it would rip, or rip and encode in the background. (insert cd and walk away if desired

Or if you wanted to watch, with a slight change it will autostart and you'd just have to click the rip button.

I don't use 8.10 but I know from testing it that the very latest version will run on 8.10 though the gui is a little messed up.

I would have to test it first to see if things worked out. (it works perfectly on 8.04. (hint

What are you ripping to?

If it's just to .wav I've noticed that rythmbox in 8.10 has a problem with .wav's not ripped with gstreamer apps or by itself.

To test on your box take a .wav ripped elsewhere or browse an audio cd, drag a track to your desktop and see if rhythmbox can play it after it's been copied.

RR will leave a log in each albums folder so even if you let it work in the background you can always review

This log is created by Rubyripper, version 0.5.4

Cdrom player used to rip:
    ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P 9P59
    Cdrom offset used: 0

Ripper used: cdparanoia
    Matches required for all chunks: 2
    Matches required for erroneous chunks: 2

Codec(s) used:
    -other -> neroAacEnc -q 0.61 -if %i -of "%o.m4a"

CDDB INFO

Artist = Quicksilver Messenger Service
    Album = Happy Trails
    Year = 0
    Genre = Rock
    Tracks = 10

01 - Who Do You Love (Part 1)
    02 - When You Love
    03 - Where You Love
    04 - How You Love
    05 - Which Do You Love
    06 - Who Do You Love (Part 2)
    07 - Mona
    08 - Maiden Of The Cancer Moon
    09 - Calvary
    10 - Happy Trails

STATUS

Starting to rip track 1, trial #1
    Starting to rip track 1, trial #2
    Analyzing files for mismatching chunks
    Every chunk matched 2 times
    MD5 sum: df669cd908e329d42c9c49c746256774

Starting to rip track 2, trial #1
    Starting to rip track 2, trial #2
    Analyzing files for mismatching chunks
    Every chunk matched 2 times
    MD5 sum: 0396da9265d88844db6c8152ca270eee
    ...........ect.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Question about ripping music CD's in Ubuntu 8.10

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    I don't believe rhymthbox can auto do anything.
    Rubyripper does use cdparnanoia for error cor. and can be setup to auto run.

Basically you'd just insert the cd and it would rip, or rip and encode in the background. (insert cd and walk away if desired

Or if you wanted to watch, with a slight change it will autostart and you'd just have to click the rip button.

I don't use 8.10 but I know from testing it that the very latest version will run on 8.10 though the gui is a little messed up.

I would have to test it first to see if things worked out. (it works perfectly on 8.04. (hint

What are you ripping to?

If it's just to .wav I've noticed that rythmbox in 8.10 has a problem with .wav's not ripped with gstreamer apps or by itself.

To test on your box take a .wav ripped elsewhere or browse an audio cd, drag a track to your desktop and see if rhythmbox can play it after it's been copied.

RR will leave a log in each albums folder so even if you let it work in the background you can always review
    Thanks I will look into Rubyripper. I am ripping directly into flac.