Thread: Craziest Gentoo Story

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Craziest Gentoo Story

Alright, today I installed Gentoo on my machine. It went through and everything, but it didn't find all my other OS's! So therefore, it didn't put them in GRUB, so when I started it up, X did not launch! So I had to "shutdown now" it, and I had to install a rescue Ubuntu to fix the stupid bootloader! Scary, eh? Just goes to show ya how wonderful Ubuntu is, and how pitiful Gentoo is.
    I got my avatar from the Tux Factory.
    Learning French and Japanese simultaneously! オースティンジョーンズ日本語学習を楽しんで!

Beans

Re: Craziest Gentoo Story

Actually Gentoo is a good distro, but it is far from anything I would want to install at this time.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No need to look down on other os's. Ubuntu's not perfect either.
    I bet if Gentoo had the same Ubuntu Community Forums as Ubuntu, you wouldn't have posted this thread.
    EDIT: You beat me to it, SunnyRabbiera. (btw. your new avatar needs some time to get used to)
    Last edited by eternalnewbee; November 29th, 2008 at 05:27 PM.
    Ubuntu Release 12.04
    Kernel Linux 3.0.0-16-generic
    Pentium dual core 3.00GHz

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuxluver View Post
    Alright, today I installed Gentoo on my machine. It went through and everything, but it didn't find all my other OS's! So therefore, it didn't put them in GRUB, so when I started it up, X did not launch! So I had to "shutdown now" it, and I had to install a rescue Ubuntu to fix the stupid bootloader! Scary, eh? Just goes to show ya how wonderful Ubuntu is, and how pitiful Gentoo is.
    Uhm, I don't about the latest developments of Gentoo, but at least a couple of years ago when I still used it, you were supposed to do things like that yourself. So, technically it's not Gentoo's fault, because it's not even supposed to do that. There are some other distros too that don't even try to guess what other OSs you have installed, since they expect you to make the adjustments to GRUB yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It must have been a bad CD, cause X didn't start on the live CD either. By the way, it wasn't version 2008.0, it was actually 2007.0. And I'm not saying that Gentoo stinks, I'm just saying that I've had some(a lot) of trouble with it, and so I'm never doing it again.
    I got my avatar from the Tux Factory.
    Learning French and Japanese simultaneously! オースティンジョーンズ日本語学習を楽しんで!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Moved to Gentoo Discussions & closed. We don't need distro-bashing threads here, and it's certainly unfair to base one's opinion on a fly-by attempt at installation.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!