Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Its da cht languge!"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Cool "Its da cht languge!"

I notice a lot of different varieties of people everyday. Friends at school, family/relatives staying outside the country, and such, are usually communicated with by the means of IM. I, myself, am of the opinion that IRC is one of the most intelligent 'places' to be.

Even though it is acceptable, when, for instance, you are on your mobile phone, where it is greatly cumbersome to type (non-QWERTY), txt spk is just pathetic. I see it as a pathetic disgrace to language itself. I don't mind it in cases where time is limited, or when one is on a cell phone, but it sends me off the hook when someone uses txt spk when there is a full-fldged keyboard in front of them. All the people I meet at school, including my teachers, seem to think it is somehow compulsory to use this abhorrent script, it is apparently "da cht language" and everybody is supposed to use it. I nearly pulled all my hair out when I tried to explain to one of *them* why it was so immature and disgraceful; it seems people have no extent to their stubbornness these days.

'Why the deuce are you typing like that?'
    'lyk wut?'
    '"lyk dis"'
    'o, datz da cht languge'
    'The "cht lnguge" is annoyingly disgraceful'
    *Sign off*

P.S. Yes, this thread is meant to be satirical
    Joeb454 | LOL DONGS

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: "Its da cht languge!"

Reminds me of this sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwNQf08Kxsw

Beans
    Hidden!

me2

Beans

Well actually i am taking this thread quite literally, its true, i see people on MSN using txt speak, why on earth do people go and use this language to communicate whilst using a QWERTY keyboard. I agree its ridiculous.

Beans

It's very annoying, to say the least.

Sure, we all did it... when we were 12.

I used to type like that when I was just a beginner on IRC, a Java user.
    I quickly grew out of it as soon as I stepped into "real" IRC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I understand dropping vowels or uneccessary consonants, It is very helpful when you need to get something relevant out in a timely fashion. But replacing i with y or adding letters for no reason other than to look like you are uneducated but underground just looks rtrded.

examples

silly and without purpose.

1. liek idc wth ur sayin oim nawt a bawt stawp vershunin me.
    2. oh mah gawd this is soooooo kyooot.

useful and helps to convey text based information faster.

1. k set the cmos jmpr to 1,0 frm 1,1
    2. Idc wth yr sayin im not a bot so quit vrsionin me.

Hopefully this helps to inform others of the true purpose of netspeak.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    I understand dropping vowels or uneccessary consonants, It is very helpful when you need to get something relevant out in a timely fashion. But replacing i with y or adding letters for no reason other than to look like you are uneducated but underground just looks rtrded.

examples

silly and without purpose.

1. liek idc wth ur sayin oim nawt a bawt stawp vershunin me.
    2. oh mah gawd this is soooooo kyooot.

useful and helps to convey text based information faster.

1. k set the cmos jmpr to 1,0 frm 1,1
    2. Idc wth yr sayin im not a bot so quit vrsionin me.

Hopefully this helps to inform others of the true purpose of netspeak.
    I completely agree with you. But the fact is, that when people use txt spk, they do it because they think it's "kewl". Another thing is, that they barely care about what they are trying to convey or what their implications are over IM. Also, using numbers in substitution of words is just...bad..
    'zomg zomg zomg dat ws gr8!1!'
    Joeb454 | LOL DONGS

Beans
    Distro

That's a good point, the cool factor and the posers it attracts.

I only tlk like ths whn im on irc tlking to a dev team. Or when txt is scrollin so fast i need to type rly fast.

Other than that and cell phones i never use it. Wait, now that i think about it
    I also comment code in netspeak and almost all my handwritten pseudocode is in net shorthand as well

incl io
    main
    out << "mk wldnt code rock if it was ths easy?"

this is just an example, but it seems that as more and more modern syntax conventions are adopted I see words shortening in code. Now if we could all learn to host libs link and compile without computers. O wait, we already do.
    Last edited by Brunellus; November 30th, 2008 at 04:00 AM. Reason: nice try, but f-bombs not allowed.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    It is very helpful when you need to get something relevant out in a timely fashion.
    To my mind, this is at the core of the problem: Dropping letters and failing to check your spelling may increase your speed getting it out. It does, however, throttle the speed of anyone trying to take it in.

So now, it becomes simple arithmetic. Why should saving the minute it takes you to actually type a word be worth more than one second each of tens or hundreds of people who might try reading your message?

Not to speak of the case when you need people to read your text in order to help you solve a problem (your problem, not that of the people).

If it's worth reading, it's worth writing properly.

So, there.

Beans
    Distro

So, there.
    actually less letter = less spell checking.
    theres ur arithmetic

o0oo0o call the burn unit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast