Page 62 of 65 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Rotate the Screen for a TX2000 Tablet PC

Beans

Re: How to Rotate the Screen for a TX2000 Tablet PC

Where's is that file??? I'll copy-paste it's content..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's in the magick-rotation folder that you downloaded and installed from. The Installer creates it when installing.

Beans

I can't see that file, but I don't understand why after rebooting tons of times, it finally works!!! OMG!!!

Thanks to all...

Beans

Hi,

Thanks for putting up this page. I just got the Magick Rotation working and everything is working like a charm on a hp 2710p running ubuntu 12.04. However there is still an interesting issue with some software outside of Magick Rotation.

When I rotate from normal view to the side, I find a 'good thing' that most software realizes the changed parameters of the screen orientation, i.e. that the width and height of the screen has change. A good example is chrome, which fits the screen upon rotation precisely. However, other software, such as Ubuntu task bar, the document-folder-default program, and libre office do not recognize the changed parameters causing the program to open to a full extent that is half off the screen.

Am I missing a step, or is there a known workaround?

Thanks,
    dj188us

Beans
    Distro

Hi dj188us,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

In Precise (12.04) are you using Unity 2D or 3D?

With 3D the task bar resizes on rotation for me, and as I recall also in 2D. I gather from:
    document-folder-default program
    you mean Nautilus? Nautilus opens properly sized for me in either laptop or tablet. If already opened in one or the other and then rotated it can be partially off screen and I just drag it to place. Sometimes a window can dissapear if you have it right on the rotating edge. So you need to use the Desktop switcher and go to it on the next Desktop and slide it over enough that you can grab it when you go back to the original Desktop. If you want it there that is.

Maybe it is your video chipset/driver. Intel MB video?
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi dj188us,

In Precise (12.04) are you using Unity 2D or 3D?

With 3D the task bar resizes on rotation for me, and as I recall also in 2D. I gather from:

you mean Nautilus? Nautilus opens properly sized for me in either laptop or tablet. If already opened in one or the other and then rotated it can be partially off screen and I just drag it to place. Sometimes a window can dissapear if you have it right on the rotating edge. So you need to use the Desktop switcher and go to it on the next Desktop and slide it over enough that you can grab it when you go back to the original Desktop. If you want it there that is.

Maybe it is your video chipset/driver. Intel MB video?
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Ok, so sorry I'm new to ubuntu and just figuring things out.

So, the window switcher helps for libre office and other like apps, Thanks much.

My original question the should not have been for the task bar, but (I think) the "dash home". It is the top most app/button on the task bar for a newly installed 12.04 os, which allows you to open other apps.

It still opens up too large for the rotated tablet screen and the window switcher does not solve the issue.

Thanks, and sorry for not replying sooner. I have exams and projects due this week.

-dj188us

Code:
    ~$ lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) (rev 0c)
    ~$

Beans
    Distro

Sure I understand. Have to prioritize.
    My original question the should not have been for the task bar, but (I think) the "dash home". It is the top most app/button on the task bar for a newly installed 12.04 os, which allows you to open other apps.

It still opens up too large for the rotated tablet screen and the window switcher does not solve the issue.
    Since both MyUnity and Ubuntu Tweak have a setting to control Dash size you'd think it is suppose to be resizable. The settings are Automatic, Desktop, and Netbook.

But testing that with MyUnity only shows Netbook makes it open fullscreen. But on Automatic or the other two settings it opens too large in portrait for me. Didn't install Ubuntu Tweak on the tablet PC to test. I don't know if that means there is a bug for Dash and rotation or the feature hasn't been implemented. If it is there we'd have to figure out the setting the two configuration gui's are using that and test manually.

Don't see anything in CompizConfig Settings Manager (CCSM) dealing with it.

Looks like things are OK with the Intel MB video chipset and video driver because it is rotating correctly and other things are working.

Beans

Hi, Favux. First of all, I'd like to thank you for all the help on trying to improve tablet support on Ubuntu. I must say I would probably be still stuck with Windows if it wasn't for you and a few other fellows only, who (heroically) posted a bunch of priceless tips. I'm a tablet PC fan and had not yet had a good experience with Linux on my HP tc4400. I tried twice before, but always ended up coming back to Windows. Not now!

I've spent the last three days reading all about issues on making Linux (Ubuntu, particularly) work on my Tablet PC TC4400. Now, I got Ubuntu 12.04 (PP) and almost everything working, including:
    - automatic rotation (w/ Magick Rotation);
    - jog dial on the side;
    - pen/eraser ajustments when on dual screen mode;
    - fingerprint reader (w/ fingerprint-gui);
    - decent handwriting recognition software (MyScript Stylus).

The last remaining unresolved issues are:
    1) 3 bezel buttons (text input tool, rotation and Q Menu); [SOLVED, see post #628]
    2) auto suspend session after closing the screen;
    3) sd card reader; [SOLVED]
    4) pcmcia.

Items 2, 3 and 4 are not crucial. Item 1 however is very important to me (and all tc4400 users, I think). With no success I tried everything I found so far. I followed the Apendix 2 of this tutorial - nothing on xev, no kernel key codes returned. The 3 buttons seem just dead! I get no signal. They used to work just fine on Windows.

Since it's been a while since we have no updates on this post and no one else reports effective worthy tips, I ask you if you could help on this, please.

For now, I (monkey) patched Magick-Rotation to include a "Rotate" MenuItem to the context menu that opens when we right click the system tray green arrow icon. (Please, check the attachments if interested: magick-rotation.txt:138 and gui_gtk.py.txt:401)

Once again, thank you, thank you very much.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gco; January 25th, 2013 at 04:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi gco,

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Magick code.

Wonder if the the TC1100 fix applies? Apparently you touch the non-working bezel buttons with the stylus? Anyway wcmISDV4.c hasn't changed all that much so maybe. See Erich's patch for the HP TC1100: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...nuxwacom-devel

Far less likely I'd think is tipp98's bezel button fix for the TX2***'s. Heck, maybe it works for the later TCs also. See post #2 on the new Tablet PC Rotation HOW TO.
    Since it's been a while since we have no updates on this post and no one else reports effective worthy tips, I ask you if you could help on this, please.
    Ubuntu forums changed policy at the end of June 2012. Posts after then can only be edited for 7 days. That locked all tutorial and HOW TO authors out of their tutorials and HOW TOs. Which is why no updates on the HOW TO itself.

Beans

Wonder if the the TC1100 fix applies? Apparently you touch the non-working bezel buttons with the stylus? Anyway wcmISDV4.c hasn't changed all that much so maybe. See Erich's patch for the HP TC1100: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...nuxwacom-devel
    Thanks Favux. I've already tried Erich's fix. It didn't work. I dug as deeper as I could in order to understand the code and update whatever needed, such as changing 'WCM_MAX_MOUSE_BUTTONS' to 'WCM_MAX_BUTTONS'. Every change I made resulted in system crash. I was able to compile and replace the driver but Unity stopped loading properly - screen turns all black after Ubuntu's logo first appearance and stucks.

Far less likely I'd think is tipp98's bezel button fix for the TX2***'s. Heck, maybe it works for the later TCs also. See post #2 on the new Tablet PC Rotation HOW TO.
    I was not aware of this solution. I'll give it a try and report back. It seems very promising.

Ubuntu forums changed policy at the end of June 2012. Posts after then can only be edited for 7 days. That locked all tutorial and HOW TO authors out of their tutorials and HOW TOs. Which is why no updates on the HOW TO itself.
    I didn't know this either. Anyway, after all you did, you are totaly dismissed of any guilt . Of course my note was not a complaint, but a completly innocent observation. Now I get it. Thanks.

Page 62 of 65 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast