Thread: Accessing Ubuntu 12.04.1 via Windows

Beans

Accessing Ubuntu 12.04.1 via Windows

Hello,
    I am working with some coworkers doing some computations on an Ubuntu 12.04.1 machine. They are accessing the machine from their Windows XP and Windows 7 laptops. However the only way that I know how to connect is via the command line (using something like putty), while they are both very GUI oriented and it is difficult for them to pick up typing commands and using purely text-based editors via putty. I would like to install some (free!) software on their computers that would enable them to have a GUI-based interface to the Ubuntu computer from their Windows laptops. Would this be a "remote desktop"? They would not be logged in on console on the Ubuntu computer, however. To be honest I know absolutely nothing about remote desktops, again I am comfortable connecting using purely command-line interfaces, but it would be very helpful to have this GUI-based interface available for my coworkers. Any help on how to set this up?

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Accessing Ubuntu 12.04.1 via Windows

You can try Filezilla. It is cross-platform and there is a download for Win. Full GUI and pretty easy to use.

http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

There is a piece of software out there by the name of TeamViewer. It is available for Ubuntu (as well as other distros), Windows, and Mac. I have used it many times for school and offers a way for you to share your desktop with other people. Take a look at it at TeamViewer.com. Actually not a bad piece of software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

+1 for Teamviewer where your users are not on the LAN i.e. they need to connect over the internet. If your users are on the local network then enabling sharing on the folder they need to access should create access for them. Right click the folder in Ubu to enable sharing. ******* users should then see the share when they browse the network.

I don't know why but after creating the share I've had to restart my machines for the new settings to apply.
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com