Thread: lost my vista

Beans

Unhappy lost my vista

Hey,
    i just installed ubuntu for the 1st time on my laptop. I wanted to dual boot vista with ubuntu but now i found out that i lost, or think i lost, my vista. can u help me?

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 18705 150247881 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 18706 19457 6040440 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 18706 19457 6040408+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

does that mean i lost it completely?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: lost my vista

it's my understanding that you should see the windows partition in 'fdisk -l'. as you have shown, it isn't there. you might want to confirm with gparted though.

good luck,
    franklin
    Last edited by doas777; November 29th, 2008 at 08:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I am a realist so I'm not going to sugar coat it. You are what in the technical world call "Totally and irreversibly, screwed." Pull out those reinstall CD's. You have along day ahead of you.
    REGISTERED UBUNTU USER - #25241
    I void warranties.
    Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How did you partition your disk when installing Ubuntu? Did you let Ubuntu do it, or did you do manual partitioning? If you had let Ubuntu do it, then sure as surity you've removed your vista. Or if you are sure that you'd left your vista intact while installing Ubuntu, go to Places->Removable Media-> and see whether your other hard disks or partitions are listed there.

If anything is listed there, then just click on it to mount it and check whether your vista is intact. If it is, then all you may have to do is to just edit '/boot/grub/menu.lst' which we'll come to later once you've verified the presence of vista.