Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: currently taking mandriva 2009 one for a spin

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

currently taking mandriva 2009 one for a spin

i have installed this to a spare 20 hdd i have for testing o/s with and one hting that amazes me is just how silky smooth the compiz with using this os

leaves my 8.04 in the dust using the nvidia drivers for my fx5500

i dont know how long i will try it for... i cant even get it to play a dvd out of the box so to speak.

says it needs drivers and wants me to buy them

no thanks, not for me
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans

Re: currently taking mandriva 2009 one for a spin

Just install VLC from PLF and you should be OK for codecs etc. If not, post back and I'm sure we'll pull it out of the hat.

I was a bit on and off with Mandriva 2009 at first, but I'm really happy with it now. Scratch that, I'm absolutely in love with it. Other than some silly KDE4 "problems", it's an absolutely brilliant OS. Don't abandon it yet because of the Fluendo thing. Ubuntu has that now too you know. Stick with it a bit and I bet it grows on you.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro

i still have it on a spare hdd and wil plug it back in and have a more of a tinker with it

i have noticed it has not added my usb canon i865 printer out of the box, where ubuntu does, is this normal???

i had a hunt thru the add/remove and found *TONS* of stuff , i assume i select the generic canon drivers and it will add everything thing else it needs to make it work and install it

what blows me away is , my video card is a Nvidia FX5500 and it is using the 173 drivers from memeory and i can run those on ubuntu and i have it using the gnome desktop and compiz is just ssssssoooooo silky smooth, make ubuntu look so slow and chunky

i will dig out the hdd and tinker with it in the next half hour again.

i will go hunting for vlc though, thanks for the tip
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

well, been tinkering with mandriva 2009 for the past hour or two

still cant even get it to play a dvd for crying out loud

did much searching of the net and some have even said its a great os for beginners

you got to be kidding me

to setup a printer you must use the standard cups system via web browser, ubuntu is point and click and go in no time, piece of cake.

ubuntu is easer to get off the ground by a long shot then mandriva

anyhow, cost me nothing so i cant complain too much

well, move on, and wait for my next distro to finish d/l and try it and it will be opensuse 11

i wish ubuntu was using the same nvidia drivers though as mandriva 2009 though

mandriva 2009 one , the desktop using gnome on my pentium 4 3.4 HT with nvidia FX5500 is so amazinlgy smooth it makes ubuntu 8.04 with compiz look very slow and very rough on my machine

so long mandriva

Beans

well getting DVD to work under mandriva should be as easy as using easy urpmi and enabling the PLF repo's. some ways its easier then Ubuntu when you look at it.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Mandriva detects and configure the printer like ubuntu, WHEN system-config-printer is installed.

That a bit boring with the ONE and a BUG:
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_E...n_One_editions

That wasn't so before and will never be again.

To play DVD you need the PLF Media. What mediabuntu is for ubuntu is PLF for Mandriva ... nothing different.
    Just use http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

When you use this repositories, Mandriva will give you the possibility to install the needed codec instead to buy them ... Mandriva can't offer the repositories by default.

Regards,
    TeaAge

Beans

I'd already linked to EasyURPMI in my post above.

I'm surprised at your problems with Mandriva 2009. I've mostly found it just as easy as Ubuntu, sometimes even easier. I had no bother enabling DVD playback with EasyURPMI and the PLF repositories, and printing was pretty easy too for me (I have a HP Photosmart). Did you enable the PLF repository yeah?

As for the Nvidia driver, I'm currently using the same driver on Mandriva 2009 as I have on Ubuntu - the 177.80 driver. I just added the newer kernel to my GRUB list, so I get the newer driver. Give that a shot perhaps?

Honestly dude, I can't see that you'll find OpenSuse any easier than Mandriva, but I hope it works out for you anyway. Good luck.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    well getting DVD to work under mandriva should be as easy as using easy urpmi and enabling the PLF repo's. some ways its easier then Ubuntu when you look at it.

did that and everytime i used totem it said i needed libdvdcss from memory and vlc said it had an error reading the disc
    funny how i got the same error on every single dsc i threw at the pc, and yet plug in my ubuntu hdd and off it goess all dvds are playable and no read errors

i tried a divx file i had and it gave me an option to d/l the codec and it worked just fine, pitty the dvd playback didnt do the same
    i will plug the hdd back in again tonight and have another tinker with mandriva

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post

As for the Nvidia driver, I'm currently using the same driver on Mandriva 2009 as I have on Ubuntu - the 177.80 driver. I just added the newer kernel to my GRUB list, so I get the newer driver. Give that a shot perhaps?
    how do i do this???do you have a website you can point me to with instructions on how to achive this

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i dont know how long i will try it for... i cant even get it to play a dvd out of the box so to speak.

says it needs drivers and wants me to buy them
    sure its mandriva and not windows vista you are using

sorry i could really not resist that one. i had mandriva powerpack 2007 and it had all needed for everthing and is by now still the only one that has the drivers for one of my old computers sound card. and it does not want me to buy anything.

and FreeDos has a driver for the soundcard also so i can use mplayer in FreeDos but its not like did not wish for sound in my debian install.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast