Thread: No Network Manager Applet in Ibex

Beans

No Network Manager Applet in Ibex

I just upgraded to Ibex from Hardy and I have lost my network manager applet. I had VPN working flawlessly in Hardy (I know there have been lots of similar problems) but now I don't even have the GNOME applet where I can click and select "connect to VPN". What happened to this?

The only remotely similar applet that I can see is network monitor, but clicking on this only brings up the connection properties for my eth0 connection. Am I missing something really simple?

Beans

Re: No Network Manager Applet in Ibex

Oops, I think I found some helpful posts elsewhere. I was leaving "applet" out of my searches so I couldn't find an appropriate answer in the forums. Sorry for the message board clutter...

Beans
    Hidden!

If you've found an answer, maybe you should post the link to the thread with it. Just a suggestion though...

Beans

OK, I found some partial help in this post:

Ok I figure part of the question: There is no right-click menu item on network status icon because it is gnome-network-status-applet but not nm-applet so then the question is HOW to get nm-applet on the panel? shouldnt it be automatically?

(from: http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/sh...d.php?t=979680 )
    But it's only a partial answer. What happened to the network applet and how can I get the functionality from the previous Hardy applet in Ibex?

Beans

Well, I think the problem is fixed (for now). I finally dug up about a zillion launchpad entries dealing with network-manager applet. Here's a link for anyone interested:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r-applet/+bugs

Not sure why these didn't show up in all of my Googling.