Page 103 of 123 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1226

Thread: grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting

Beans

Re: grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting

I guess the 2 graphic cards means double trouble for the MBP 5,x edition. Any idea on xorg.conf entry to accommodate both cards?

Beans

pxwpxw8)
    You were absolutely on target with the nano /etc/X11. The only 2 thing I did more was to
    1) rm -rf xorg.conf.*.
    2) nano the xorg.conf.fail safe as well with your mighty entry.
    Voila` persistent on MBP 5.X.
    Albeit without wireless ,sound and none working restart.
    Shut down is ok though.
    It still works with my iMac

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by a1234 View Post
    I guess the 2 graphic cards means double trouble for the MBP 5,x edition. Any idea on xorg.conf entry to accommodate both cards?
    I also have a 5,1 MBP and it seems that when i boot in legacy mode aka grub legacy i only have access to 9600m and then with grub2 i see both cards but can only get 9400 to work if you figure something out make sure you post it. There is also some weird gart address problem that bean1234 mentioned earlier. It makes it so that once in X you sorta are stuck there, meaning when you try to pop back into console there is just a black screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by pxwpxw View Post
    I think the situation is being confused by problems booting the loop iso on the MBP5, maybe something in the Live startup that is not in the normal initrd.img. I don't know if you are seeing just the [linux ....... ] message , or getting to the [initrd..... ] line before it hangs.
    none: it now hangs on a black screen after i choose grub entry. silent, heating up fast. when previously i was getting it stuck, it was still grub on its red background, giving me gfx card and bus addresses.
    It might be a good idea to do a straight install of ubuntu904-amd64 on a USB stick and see how that boots from the HD grub.efi, should be no problem according to other MBP5x reports, but I can't confirm that. It will be a bit slow to install on the USB stick, so do a minimal install. Unless of course you can do a test install to a HD partition.
    on the stick, or even onto an ext usb drive. the only problem, got no cds here! linux was used to fit on a 650 rw-cd, not any more :~(
    time lacks too, i guess i'll be giving a try to the beta or RC cds later on, before installing over my system. thanks for your suggestions anyway :~)
    Lo runs Kubuntu 9.10-amd64 on a MacBookPro 5.1, and feels Karmic :~)

Beans

Manage to get the wireless working using this thread.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=896713
    Giving up on sound and reboot all info out there broke the "persistent".

Beans

This is just to summarize the do's to get a "persistent' on usb for mac.
    It will work on iMac C2D 2.4 early 2008, Mbp 2.2 C2G as well as Mbp uni C2D 2.8 early 2009 editions.
    No sound and reboot in Uni otherwise a perfect persistent!
    Here is the meat in the KISS format:
    1) Use usb stick <8GB, or HDD if you like an internal persistent built in.
    2) Format using gparted. I did it thru my VMWARE amd86. As usual a <1G Fat 32 and the rest linux (ext2 etc). The first partition should be made bootable. If you like to use fdisk method go for it. Don't forget to label the linux partition "casper-rw".
    3) Use istostick.sh method easily found in pendrive linux or xcopy method in windows
    http://devblurbs.blogspot.com/2008/0...usb-flash.html
    Skip the boot loader part. Use Ultra iso to mount in windows then do the xcopy junk!
    3a) I use make usb stick form my VM amd64installation. KISS remember.
    3b)Copy grub.cfg and bootx64.efi to the root of your usb.
    Tremendous thanks to pxwpxw tireless contribution8)
    4) make sure gru.cfg has this entry post #1014 here
    Again absolutely all credit to pxwpxw.
    5)Boot the usb on the first prompt screen go to root sans internet of course. You will get it later.
    Do
    1)cd /etc/X11,
    2)nano xorg.conf. Edit the identifier and options to "FBDEV" . ∆ options to Driver.
    save and boot. You will need to do this every time. So get used to it.
    6)There is your "persistent" on a MBP. If it is the mbp 2,x version everything, I mean "EVERYTHING" should work after the initial update thru sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
    Make sure you add all the "safe" sources ie Lauchpad. Mactel etc in your soft ware sourses.
    For further wireless problem please see my last post.
    No sound on mbp5,3. DOesn't work with any methods out there so far. Will only break you persistent.

Now we mac owner can do "persistent" on a mac with JAUNTY.
    Again Professor pxwpxw get "ALL" the credit.
    Now if only I know what to do with the "initrd.lz" in Karmic. I will like to try out the first grub2 bootloader as a persistent.
    Professor any suggestions?
    Last edited by a1234; September 23rd, 2009 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Lousy speller, ALWAYS!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It might be a good idea to do a straight install of ubuntu904-amd64 on a USB stick and see how that boots from the HD grub.efi, should be no problem according to other MBP5x reports, but I can't confirm that.
    It will be a bit slow to install on the USB stick, so do a minimal install. Unless of course you can do a test install to a HD partition.
    well, i got a cd and burnt karmic alpha 6 on it (reported to work on the parallel thread!). then tried to install it on the usb flashdrive, got a warning about 1.975 GB needed, and indeed the installation failed twice: on a crappy drive 1.87 GB, and on a kingston 1.90 GB.
    not for time.. but for space: how do i do a minimal install?
    Lo runs Kubuntu 9.10-amd64 on a MacBookPro 5.1, and feels Karmic :~)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

For testing you can use the karmic-server-amd64.iso
    and just do CLI install (~700MB), no desktop initially (IDK how to select this from the live desktop iso, but it may be possible).
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/karmic/alpha-6/
    karmic-server-amd64.iso

Or you can test with just the net install kernel (linux initrd.gz ) or use that to do a minimal install.
    Index of /ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/ubuntu-installer/amd64
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...staller/amd64/
    Or the mini.iso (12MB).
    Index of /ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...mages/netboot/

Thu 24 Sep 2009 12:32:47 .
    Last edited by pxwpxw; September 24th, 2009 at 05:30 AM.

Beans

Hows it everyone?
    I am going to the intel developer forum and one of the lectures was about uefi and how intel is going to start pushing that out. Naturally I asked how uefi is being used(or not) with apple. They basically said apple is doing there own thing, but then they showed me a person who was attending the lecture who was from apple and he just so happened to be the efi developer for apple
    So, I probed him with the problems we face and he tried answering to the best of is capacity and claimed that we should have acess to both of the gfx cards if we boot via efi. I told him that due to lack of documentation etc. we can't seem to get grub working quite well. Unfortunetly another session started and he told me he wanted to goto it. However I did get his card. If anyone likes (bean1234) he should be more than happy..... to help out with some questions we might have. His name is Andrew Fish and by the look of his card seems to be a big player with the efi delopment for apple. His email is afish(at)apple(dot)com and phone number (360) 2(fiftynine)-75(six)2. Please post info when you guys get it.

Beans

pxwpxw

Forgive me if I am 'off the wall' on this one:
    I have been trying to boot Active@Boot Disk from a usb on my mac. SInce grub2 using the bootx64.efi and some grub.cfg menuentry I have been able to get to beyond the initial boot selection menu.I know with appropriate menuentry, which my knowledge gap is glaring. I believe it is possible to put this small "winpe" program bootable. Can you suggest some menuentry?
    The entire bootable (windows) usb has the following content:
    Please see atachment
    I have tried quite a few entry. SO far the following look the most promising.
    search --set -f /BOOTMGR
    chainloader /BOOTMGR
    It let me pass the selection screen.
    ANy suggestion on menuentry will be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 103 of 123 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast