Page 95 of 123 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Thread: grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting

Quote Originally Posted by BiosDude View Post
    I haven't downloaded the latest GRUB to look for myself but need a quick answer. Is the video driver just the video OpRom available from Intel without modifications or is it from some other source?

Thank you in advance,
    BiosDude
    Thats a new question, not sure which video driver you mean. A quick look at the Intel OpRom info, can't see if it has any video changes related to UEFI Graphics.

The binary grub2404b as at post #930 has the grub2 patches for UgaDraw or Gop.
    This is not in the Grub2 SVN trunk yet (9 Aug 2009) last time I looked.
    Mac models reporting here have been using Apple EFI UgaDraw, or some latest ones the UEFI Gop Protocol, no further firmware updates specifically for grub efi video.

It depends on your machine I suppose. Maybe you are on to something new we should know about.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pxwpxw View Post
    Thats a new question, not sure which video driver you mean. A quick look at the Intel OpRom info, can't see if it has any video changes related to UEFI Graphics.

The binary grub2404b as at post #930 has the grub2 patches for UgaDraw or Gop.
    This is not in the Grub2 SVN trunk yet (9 Aug 2009) last time I looked.
    Mac models reporting here have been using Apple EFI UgaDraw, or some latest ones the UEFI Gop Protocol, no further firmware updates specifically for grub efi video.

It depends on your machine I suppose. Maybe you are on to something new we should know about.
    pxwpxw - It's my understanding that Apple is using a pure UEFI firmware with no CSM. As such, the standard Intel Video Option ROM isn't loaded. So I was reading your thread to mean that you had added that support into GRUB2 to initialize the video hardware and provide legacy INT10 services.

If I read your current statement, then Apple is initiliazing the video hardware with some form of UEFI driver in order to provide the GOP or UgaDraw protocols.

Do I have this correct?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BiosDude View Post
    pxwpxw - It's my understanding that Apple is using a pure UEFI firmware with no CSM. As such, the standard Intel Video Option ROM isn't loaded. So I was reading your thread to mean that you had added that support into GRUB2 to initialize the video hardware and provide legacy INT10 services.

If I read your current statement, then Apple is initiliazing the video hardware with some form of UEFI driver in order to provide the GOP or UgaDraw protocols.

Do I have this correct?
    I don't think so - it is hard to generalise, and I dont have the in-depth knowledge.

The Compatibility Services Module (CSM) is still there, as it has been, for use with pc-bios bootloader as used by grub-pc, the rEFIt site documentation is still relevant.

The Gop Protocol patch (see post #930 for full patch code) just allows Gop to be detected and used by grub.efi, as alternative to UgaDraw.

Perhaps you could state the Mac model and specific problem you have in mind, or better still, test it.

Beans

New feature: Graphics mode in EFI

You can enter graphics mode using the following command in grub.cfg, both uga and gop protocol are supported:

loadfont /unifont.pf2
    set gfxmode=0x0
    terminal_output.gfxterm
    background_image /splash.png

Source code can be downloaded at:

http://github.com/bean123/grub/tree/master

This repository contains phcoder's work plus my new object format patch. (including the hfspbless and gop support).

This grub.efi contains the following modules:

minicmd gpt pc fat ext2 hfsplus ntfs reiserfs xfs iso9660 ls search loopback linux chain reboot halt appleldr help configfile hexdump loadbios memrw fixvideo crc sh video efi_fb gfxterm font png jpeg hfspbless
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bean123; August 16th, 2009 at 08:29 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bean123 View Post
    New feature: Graphics mode in EFI

You can enter graphics mode using the following command in grub.cfg, both uga and gop protocol are supported:

loadfont /unifont.pf2
    set gfxmode=0x0
    terminal_output.gfxterm
    background_image /splash.png

Source code can be downloaded at:

http://github.com/bean123/grub/tree/master

This repository contains phcoder's work plus my new object format patch. (including the hfspbless and gop support).

This grub.efi contains the following modules:

minicmd gpt pc fat ext2 hfsplus ntfs reiserfs xfs iso9660 ls search loopback linux chain reboot halt appleldr help configfile hexdump loadbios memrw fixvideo crc sh video efi_fb gfxterm font png jpeg hfspbless
    Thanks for that, I got the graphics working on IMAC81 1920x1200, Radeon 2600HD, full screen, very nice with your gru64.efi and unifont. Need to find out more about settings, it will only do full screen native resolution and expands to fill,

Some leads here for enthusiasts - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2.

Photographs attached to prove it. IMAC81 radeon, MBP41 nvidia.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pxwpxw; August 16th, 2009 at 04:50 PM.

Beans

I try to install linux on XServe 2.1 from DVD.
    When I boot XServe from DVD with grub64.efi, grub in shell cannot detect data on DVD. It only writes
    grub> ls (hd0)
    Device hd0: Partition table
    grub > ls (hd0)/
    error: unknown filesystem

But grub detect data on hfs+ partition on Mac HD.
    Could you advice where the problem's root - in grub or way of my DVD creation?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ksenks View Post
    I try to install linux on XServe 2.1 from DVD.
    When I boot XServe from DVD with grub64.efi, grub in shell cannot detect data on DVD. It only writes
    grub> ls (hd0)
    grub > ls (hd0)/

But grub detect data on hfs+ partition on Mac HD.
    Could you advice where the problem's root - in grub or way of my DVD creation?
    Try these listings - what do they show?
    Code:
    grub> ls
    grub> ls -l
    grub> ls (cd0)/
    Last edited by pxwpxw; August 21st, 2009 at 03:00 PM.

Beans

Code:
    grub> ls
    (hd0) (hd1) (hd1,5) (hd1,4) (hd1,3) (hd1,2) (hd1,1)
    grub> ls -l
    Device hd1: Partition table
                   Partition hd1,5: Unknown filesystem
                   Partition hd1,4: Filesystem type ext2, Label /, Last modification...
                   Partition hd1,3: Filesystem type ext2, Label /boot1, Last modification...
                   Partition hd1,2: Filesystem type hfsplus, Last modification...
                   Partition hd1,1: Filesystem type fat, UUID ...
    grub> ls (cd0)/
    error: no such disk
    Addition information:
    I have installed linux on XServe with grub from HD (store in /efi/gruefi-karmic/grub64.efi)
    Grub from HD can see linux distro on DVD disk.
    But I want to boot from DVD and installing from it, but grub cannot see even it's config from iso with Apple partition map. Is this feature is not supported?

Beans

The same output from grub located on HD, not DVD:

Code:
    grub> ls
    (hd0) (hd0,5) (hd0,4) (hd0,3) (hd0,2) (hd0,1) (cd0)
    grub> ls -l
                   Partition hd0,5: Unknown filesystem
                   Partition hd0,4: Filesystem type ext2, Label /, Last modification...
                   Partition hd0,3: Filesystem type ext2, Label /boot1, Last modification...
                   Partition hd0,2: Filesystem type hfsplus, Last modification...
                   Partition hd0,1: Filesystem type fat, UUID ...
    Device cd0: Unknown filesystem
    grub> ls (cd0)/
    Last edited by ksenks; August 21st, 2009 at 03:44 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes I see it only shows the internal HD partitions.

Do you have the latest binary grub64.efi from this thread.

I am not sure if I understand what you need to do.

For Xserve, people here have used grub.efi and grub.cfg on the internal HD or on a usb stick or external drive, booting installer kernels from standard iso installer CD/DVD (i386 or amd64 - ubuntu, fedora, debian ...). Exact method depends on distro, kernel version and initramfs. For example it is possible to boot and install from ubuntu904 Desktop CD loop mounted iso file or CD, or Debian or Fedora CD.

This has not used grub.efi on CD/DVD drive. It uses GUID or MSDOS partitioning - Apple partitioning map probably requires additional grub module as used for the powerpc ieee1275 build.

If you need to build an EFI boot DVD, then I think you may need help from grub-devel
    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/
    Last edited by pxwpxw; August 21st, 2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: correction using GUID/MSDOS

Page 95 of 123 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast