Page 94 of 123 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Question Re: grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting

Quote Originally Posted by pxwpxw View Post
    If you have converted to MSDOS partitioning and removed MacOSX, then just install the grub2 grub-pc package. It would be difficult to use the grub2 grub-efi package or grub.efi without access to MacOSX and rEFIt or another Mac with OSX.

Karmic ubuntu910 installs grub-pc (grub2) as default bootloader.

with this version of GRUB :

i) i can use a GPT instead MBR ????
    ii) grub automatically start or i must choice Ubuntu by hold ALT button when i power on my MacBook ????

Beans

Re: grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting

Bingo. Writing this from my standard root partition, but this time efi-booted with the grub2404b.efi and the grub.cfg you provided (the fix_video option). Everything seems to work just as normal. Outstanding! As fas as I understand, it works because there are elements of both EFI and BIOS present in grub-efi now. Is that correct?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by nTia89 View Post
    with this version of GRUB :

i) i can use a GPT instead MBR ????
    ii) grub automatically start or i must choice Ubuntu by hold ALT button when i power on my MacBook ????
    I don't really understand what you want to do.

The topic for this thread is about grub.efi, for more general installation questions please use another thread.

To get a faster boot from MBR/MSDOS/FDISK disk install see this thread -
    Bless Linux Parition with no OS X installed?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...48#post7650748

How to single boot Linux without delay on Macbook (veiho)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=21
    Last edited by pxwpxw; August 11th, 2009 at 01:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post
    Bingo. Writing this from my standard root partition, but this time efi-booted with the grub2404b.efi and the grub.cfg you provided (the fix_video option). Everything seems to work just as normal. Outstanding!
    A good resut for Macbook Air 1,1.
    May need changing the menuentry if you go to later kernel version.

Is it an Intel graphic chip?
    As fas as I understand, it works because there are elements of both EFI and BIOS present in grub-efi now. Is that correct?
    Yes, fakebios and loadbios initially, but a lot more after that, mostly by Bean.
    You can see it on this thread and on the grub-devel mailing list and the changelog.

Beans

[QUOTE=pxwpxw;7747797]A good resut for Macbook Air 1,1.
    May need changing the menuentry if you go to later kernel version.

Is it an Intel graphic chip?

Yes, its the GM965/GL960 graphics controller (rev 03) that shipped with the first 1,1 model. I take it there are still problems with the new nvidia models.

I saw some post reporting problems with applesmc when booting efi-wise. However, I have not encountered any such problems. Were they solved?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post

Yes, its the GM965/GL960 graphics controller (rev 03) that shipped with the first 1,1 model. I take it there are still problems with the new nvidia models.

I saw some post reporting problems with applesmc when booting efi-wise. However, I have not encountered any such problems. Were they solved?
    Thanks, fix_video is good for intel chips, doesn't seem to do much for others.

SMC - I don't know of any outstanding EFI SMC issues with Macs prior to the MBP5 series, but that may be just due to small number of EFI users reporting. New models and new kernels always seem to produce a new lot of bugs.

For the MacBookPro5x series it is not clear to me if problems are with bios boot, or efi boot, or neither, there are some current discussion threads for MBP5x about outstanding issues.
    These include temperature control, touchpad etc, I have not been following that. It seems logical to try and clear up using bios boot first, but maybe not always the case.

For the dual Nvidia graphics on MBP5, efi allows selection which is not available in bios boot. The MBP5-2 wiki page refers to using elilo or grub efi boot.

The option to use Elilo.efi is limited at present because it only works (for me) for 2.6.30 kernel version as in Karmic alpha2, and not 2.6.31 Karmic alpha3. (I put in a launchpad bug report). So we don't really know much about elilo on Macs (I started an elilo thread)

Nvidia 3d accel driver on MBP41 with ubuntu810 almost worked - the desktop was just barely visible to login blind, but unusable, seemed to be there but at very low backlight level. So it was limited to the fbdev driver. For ubuntu904 there is no sign of life for Nvidia with efi boot, I have to use fbdev. On IMAC81 Radeon 2600HD chip, with EFI I could use ATI fglrx drivers with 3d accel, but only for ubuntu810 or debian lenny (2.6.26 kernel), otherwis I can use the default xorg radeon driver.

Now with the MBP5x and the Xserve3,1 which have the UEFI Graphics Output Protocol replacing the EFI UgaDraw in ealier Macs, people have reported Nvida drivers working for EFI boot. I don't know if the UgDraw/Gop change is responsible.

To Add Links-
    elilo bug report
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/408378
    elilo thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1221709
    mbp5 threads
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1222863
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...5-1_5-2/Jaunty
    Last edited by pxwpxw; August 8th, 2009 at 07:10 AM.

Beans

SMC - I don't know of any outstanding EFI SMC issues with Macs prior to the MBP5 series, but that may be just due to small number of EFI users reporting. New models and new kernels always seem to produce a new lot of bugs.

For the MacBookPro5x series it is not clear to me if problems are with bios boot, or efi boot, or neither, there are some current discussion threads for MBP5x about outstanding issues.
    These include temperature control, touchpad etc, I have not been following that. It seems logical to try and clear up using bios boot first, but maybe not always the case.

For the dual Nvidia graphics on MBP5, efi allows selection which is not available in bios boot. The MBP5-2 wiki page refers to using elilo or grub efi boot.

The option to use Elilo.efi is limited at present because it only works (for me) for 2.6.30 kernel version as in Karmic alpha2, and not 2.6.31 Karmic alpha3. (I put in a launchpad bug report). So we don't really know much about elilo on Macs (I started an elilo thread)

Now with the MBP5x and the Xserve3,1 which have the UEFI Graphics Output Protocol replacing the EFI UgaDraw in ealier Macs, people have reported Nvida drivers working for EFI boot. I don't know if the UgDraw/Gop change is responsible.

Hi!

I have (already) shown my interest in testing efi (both grub and elilo) on an MBP5,1. But I would like to wait for the supported kernel first (...don't want to mess around now with unstable stuff).

Maybe I worry too much. I mean, if I can safely install as an extra the -30 kernel just to perform testing and then remove I would do that (next week). If someone can confirm that it's safe to play around with an extra unstable kernel...

Regards
    Last edited by Nikos.Alexandris; August 9th, 2009 at 05:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Nikos.Alexandris

Thats quite sensible, I think karmic needs to settle down a bit before using it to try and test efi, I just have a separate system for it with nothing too important, however grub.efi boots it ok.
    Last edited by pxwpxw; August 9th, 2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: delete partedmagic

Beans

@Nikos.Alexandris

Thats quite sensible, I think karmic needs to settle down a bit before using it to try and test efi, I just have a separate system for it with nothing too important, however grub.efi boots it ok.
    ok, then I (should) wait a bit. Thanks.

Beans

I haven't downloaded the latest GRUB to look for myself but need a quick answer. Is the video driver just the video OpRom available from Intel without modifications or is it from some other source?

Thank you in advance,
    BiosDude

Page 94 of 123 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast