Page 67 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast

Thread: grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting

Beans

Re: grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting

Quote Originally Posted by pxwpxw View Post
    I started a wiki page for Xserve2,1 - any contributions welcome and especially needed from Xserve people.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xserve2-1
    Thats a cool idea. Maybe you should add efi images from the said revision which include all the patches required and are _confirmed_ to work on at least one xserve 2,1. On ours, nothing works so far, but as it has been discussed, it might be the memory that is too much. Tomorrow we will try to remove some of the memory and retry, but it would be good to have an efi image ready then that will definetly work once the factor that keeps ours from working is removed. It would greatly ease the debugging process.

Thanks

Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

grub bless command, grub-devel, very interesting -

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gr.../msg00425.html
    YAY! It's a start anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by decoder_oh View Post
    Thats a cool idea. Maybe you should add efi images from the said revision which include all the patches required and are _confirmed_ to work on at least one xserve 2,1. On ours, nothing works so far, but as it has been discussed, it might be the memory that is too much. Tomorrow we will try to remove some of the memory and retry, but it would be good to have an efi image ready then that will definetly work once the factor that keeps ours from working is removed. It would greatly ease the debugging process.

Thanks

Chris
    I would like to get your system working also, before saying too much more on the wiki.

I think drop the RAM to 2GB, (well clear of 4GB 32bit level) - then you should have the same Xserver configuration as D4T.
    It is a possible issue that needs eliminating (or fixing). See if that changes anything.

First I would retry rev 2121 which includes the first fakebios fix from post #626 and does it for D4T, but not the second (ROM image present) from post #639. And try booting a kernel that worked for D4T.

I still have to try 2121, but only for MBP, Imac, MB
    Last edited by pxwpxw; April 20th, 2009 at 05:03 AM.

Beans

I think drop the RAM to 2GB, (well clear of 4GB 32bit level) - then you should have the same Xserver configuration as D4T.
    It is a possible issue that needs eliminating (or fixing). See if that changes anything.

Success! With 2 GB Ram, it works (Grub Revision 2121, video=efifb, noefi option, lenny net install kernel). When we increase RAM to 4 GB, grub instantly reboots when issuing the "boot" command as described earlier.

Now I hope that we can find the bug/reason that causes this behavior, so we can put our RAM back in. 2 GB is really not much for our purposes.

Thanks a lot,

Chris

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by decoder_oh View Post
    Success! With 2 GB Ram, it works (Grub Revision 2121, video=efifb, noefi option, lenny net install kernel). When we increase RAM to 4 GB, grub instantly reboots when issuing the "boot" command as described earlier.

Now I hope that we can find the bug/reason that causes this behavior, so we can put our RAM back in. 2 GB is really not much for our purposes.

Thanks a lot,

Chris
    Good, apparently you located a specific Xserve grub64 big memory bug.
    I think we have to leave that for Bean to look at.
    Last edited by pxwpxw; April 22nd, 2009 at 04:27 AM. Reason: wait for bean

Beans
    Distro

Can you try it from the grub> command line, but include a plain search first to see it is finding the right thing and all other commands are working one line at a time.
    Code:
     search /vmlinuz
     search --set  /vmlinuz
     fakebios
     linux  /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 video=efifb noefi single
     initrd  /initrd.img
     boot
    And 2117 is unknown quantity to me, I think I posted 2074 binaries above post #595, there was only one EFI change after only needed for Xserve,
    You could also check your external partitioning from OSX with <diskutil list>, maybe external got changed since the last working result.
    Tried this on both revision 2074 and 2117, both failed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdude1794 View Post
    I wonder if this is a fs related problem. Perhaps you can use the crc command in grub2 to get the checksum of vmlinuz and initrd, and compare it to the value calculated from host os. You can also copy vmlinuz and initrd to a fat partition and see if you can load it from there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdude1794 View Post
    As bean said above, and you should also do an SMC reset to your MBP41 to clear any accumulated firmware garbage, which can cause very odd problems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bean123 View Post
    I wonder if this is a fs related problem. Perhaps you can use the crc command in grub2 to get the checksum of vmlinuz and initrd, and compare it to the value calculated from host os. You can also copy vmlinuz and initrd to a fat partition and see if you can load it from there.
    I tried grub crc (have to add the crc module) and got ffffffff for all the 7 /vmlinuz and /boot/vmlinuz-.... on my HD.
    It returned sensible 31 bit hex for all the initrd.
    I tried to cross check with linux cksum, but it seems to be using a different polynomial. It gave sensible 32bit results for both vmlinuz and initrd.
    So I think something is wrong somewhere.

Beans
    Distro

As bean said above, and you should also do an SMC reset to your MBP41 to clear any accumulated firmware garbage, which can cause very odd problems.
    It's a MB4,1 not a Pro
    Last edited by shadowdude1794; April 21st, 2009 at 11:03 PM.

Page 67 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast