Page 4 of 123 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting

Beans

Re: grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting

Thanks for the help! So here's where I am so far:

I installed Ubuntu on an external drive, basically just using the defaults. I forgot that this would install Grub as well... so now rEFIt boots up, giving me options to boot OSX, grub.efi, and Legacy OS. Obviously I can't boot Ubuntu strait from rEFIt.

Using rEFIt .12, I choose grub.efi which takes me strait to the command line (previously, I had .11 installed which gave me a menu). From here, I use "search --set /vmlinuz" to find the external drive. I can also list the drives with ls, and "ls /" gives linux root partition. I don't know how to get a dump of the output, but "ls /dev/" gives me a whole list of devices including ttys, ramdisks... but no sda or sdb.

Here's the output from diskutil
    Code:
    garrett-carlsens-macbook:~ bgroisser$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *74.5 Gi    disk0
       1:                        EFI                         200.0 Mi   disk0s1
       2:                  Apple_HFS Alpha                   74.2 Gi    disk0s2
    garrett-carlsens-macbook:~ bgroisser$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *74.5 Gi    disk0
       1:                        EFI                         200.0 Mi   disk0s1
       2:                  Apple_HFS Alpha                   74.2 Gi    disk0s2
    /dev/disk1
       0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *3.7 Gi     disk1
       1:                      Linux UNTITLED                3.7 Gi     disk1s1
    Let me know if there's more information I can provide. If I can't get this working, I'll probably just put the boot partition on the internal drive... is there an explanation for that process you endorse?

Thanks!

Beans

Revision to previous information: although I was previously able to boot OSX, this is no longer possible. This could be either because I installed rEFIt .12, or because I restored OSX since the last time it worked. In any case, I can set
    Code:
    grub> root=(hd1,1)
    grub> ls /
    efi/
    grub> root=(hd1,2)
    grub> ls /

grub>
    but I can't see the OSX partition...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by gcarlsen View Post
    Revision to previous information: although I was previously able to boot OSX, this is no longer possible. This could be either because I installed rEFIt .12, or because I restored OSX since the last time it worked. In any case, I can set
    Code:
    grub> root=(hd1,1)
    grub> ls /
    efi/
    grub> root=(hd1,2)
    grub> ls /

grub>
    but I can't see the OSX partition...
    Can we start by getting the grub.efi menu (grub.cfg) working, there is something wrong there at the start, meanwhile I can look at the other points.

Please post from MacOSX terminal commands exactly as shown with results
    Code:
    $ ls -l / | grep efi
    $ ls -l / | grep EFI
    $ ls /efi
    $ ls /EFI
    And could you post exactly what is the command you are using to boot MacOSX that is now failing - these are all helpful clues.

You can try booting with this.
    Assuming your /vmlinuz is at partition 1 on the usb, that should be /dev/sdb1.
    Code:
    ### these are comments
    ### set the grub root for /vmlinuz
    grub>	search --set  /vmlinuz
    ###load kernel
    grub> linux  /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1  video=efifb
    ### takes 1o seconds or so
    grub> initrd  /initrd.img
    ### takes much longer ~ 20 secs for usb
    grub> boot
    ### should get startup text scrolling
    Last edited by pxwpxw; December 29th, 2008 at 08:42 AM.

Beans

So I have to apologize for misleading you a bit... I forgot to update OSX which was causing the change of behavior in grub. Now that I've updated, I'm in the original situation: I can boot OSX from grub.efi but I can't find the linux device. All the commands you gave make sense, and all execute without errors, but when I try to boot, it hangs indefinitely. I'm guessing the problem is in
    Code:
    linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 agp=off video=efifb
    because I don't see sdb1 in /dev... Here's output from Terminal:
    Code:
    gcarlsen$ ls -l / | grep efi
    gcarlsen$ ls -l / | grep EFI
    drwxrwxr-x   7 root       admin       238 28 déc 22:11 EFI
    gcarlsen$ ls /efi
    grub              rEFIt License.rtf rEFIt ReadMe.rtf  refit             tools
    gcarlsen$ ls /EFI

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So I have to apologize for misleading you a bit... I forgot to update OSX which was causing the change of behavior in grub. Now that I've updated, I'm in the original situation: I can boot OSX from grub.efi but I can't find the linux device. All the commands you gave make sense, and all execute without errors, but when I try to boot, it hangs indefinitely. I'm guessing the problem is in
    Code:
    linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 agp=off video=efifb
    because I don't see sdb1 in /dev... Here's output from Terminal:
    Code:
    gcarlsen$ ls -l / | grep efi
    gcarlsen$ ls -l / | grep EFI
    drwxrwxr-x   7 root       admin       238 28 déc 22:11 EFI
    gcarlsen$ ls /efi
    gcarlsen$ ls /EFI
    The Macosx side looks ok thanks. Just making sure about EFI upper case, I assume you are seeing the grub menu now.

I think you may have a bug with your usb linux install. (Got to blame something).

I am using MacBook2,1 with Xubuntu 810 intrepid desktop install here, with 2.6.27 i386 kernel, installed on an 8GB usb flash stick, partitioned by MacOSX with GUID partitioning option. You have msdos partitoning, but that should not prevent the kernel and initrd starting up and I will check here to confirm that.

I have also made a small hfsplus partition on the usb to install grubefi where it is blessed so can run without refit, but that is not your problem just now.

Can you look at the usb system with a live cd, and check the kernel version in the /boot directory, or get a file listing for the root partition, and for /boot.

If you have the grub menu now, you should start a second grub.cfg version with your edited entries for the record and to avoid having to use the grub> command line.

Note that the chainloader command for macosx does not work for me at the grub> command line, but does work perfectly when run as a menuentry. (but there is no such problem for linux loading).

You cannot see /dev/sd* in the usb root system because the device node does not exist until the initialization, also you can boot the kernel and run the initramfs with no kernel arg for 'root=/dev/sdx' at all , that will get as far as (initramfs) busybox for debugging, enough to prove its starting up.

This is what I see for a successful startup from grub> commandline - (I ran it with no kernel arg for root=/dev/sdX). I assume you got all this as far as the grub> boot, but could you confirm that .
    Code:
    grub> search --set /vmlinuz
    grub> linux /vmlinuz video=efifb

Booting ...
     [Linux-bzimage, setup=0x3000, size=0x220cb0]
     Video mode:1200x800-32@59
     Video frame buffer:40000000

grub> initrd /initrd.img

[Initrd, addr=0x3a914000, sie=0x7cc3ab1]

grub> boot
    Did you get this far with all the messages similar to the above
    Was there anything more? (give it 5 minutes in case there is a hangup somewhere)

Beans

Yeah, OSX loads fine, as does appleloader CD. All your commands get similar results, though I'm not sure I've let it sit a full 5 min after "boot" (I'll try that now). If that doesn't work, I'll try downloading 8.10 (I'm using 8.04):

Code:
    gcarlsen$ ls /Volumes/UNTITLED/
    bin/        dev/        initrd/     lost+found/ opt/        sbin/       tmp/        vmlinuz
    boot/       etc/        initrd.img  media/      proc/       srv/        usr/        
    cdrom/      home/       lib/        mnt/        root/       sys/        var/        
    gcarlsen$ ls /Volumes/UNTITLED/boot/
    System.map-2.6.24-16-generic     grub                             memtest86+.bin
    abi-2.6.24-16-generic            initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic     vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic
    config-2.6.24-16-generic         initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic.bak
    thanks for the help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yeah, OSX loads fine, as does appleloader CD. All your commands get similar results, though I'm not sure I've let it sit a full 5 min after "boot" (I'll try that now). If that doesn't work, I'll try downloading 8.10 (I'm using 8.04):

Code:
    gcarlsen$ ls /Volumes/UNTITLED/
    bin/        dev/        initrd/     lost+found/ opt/        sbin/       tmp/        vmlinuz
    boot/       etc/        initrd.img  media/      proc/       srv/        usr/        
    cdrom/      home/       lib/        mnt/        root/       sys/        var/        
    gcarlsen$ ls /Volumes/UNTITLED/boot/
    System.map-2.6.24-16-generic     grub                             memtest86+.bin
    abi-2.6.24-16-generic            initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic     vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic
    config-2.6.24-16-generic         initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic.bak
    thanks for the help
    2.6.24 wont do efi so intrepid should fix it, but repartition the usb using macosx Disk Utility as a GPT (GUID) disk.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I checked with a usb flash drive that was msdos partioned (fdisk partitioning), no problem.

I put the EFI folder in a small hfsplus partiton with 2.6.27 vmlinuz and initrd.img (for testing, normally woould be in the linux /boot partition),
    Bless grub.efi from macosx, gets grub without refit (Option start to the Apple boot screen). Also shows up in refit.

But prefer GPT partitioing, and note that the Desktop installer will probably default to using the partitoning system it finds on the USB stick, which is 'fdisk' or msdos for most new unused sticks, so you need to set GPT partitioning using Macosx Disk Utility before using the ubuntu desktop installer.

Beans

oh man, don't I feel like an idiot. I even knew that .24 isn't efi compatible. The latest stable ubuntu works beautifully, thanks for the hand-holding!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

oh man, don't I feel like an idiot. I even knew that .24 isn't efi compatible. The latest stable ubuntu works beautifully, thanks for the hand-holding!
    Great. I edited the #1 post to emphasize the kernel 2.6.26 or later, it was buried in a later post.
    All good experience.

Page 4 of 123 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast