Page 15 of 123 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting

Beans

Re: grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting

Quote Originally Posted by pxwpxw View Post
    Try partitioning the usb stick again using Mac OSX Disk Utility.

Select GUID partition scheme.

Make 1 small hfsplus (MacOS Extended) partition about 100MB

Make the rest MSDOS - you can delete that in the installer and then use it as ext3 root, no swap.

That may also produce an EFI FAT32 200MB in the USB as a by product - if so just leave it there, but check the partiton numbers.

Try to avoid getting grub-pc in the HD MBR - you can continue without bootloader.

After the ubuntu install, you can install the EFI/grub2 in the hfsplus partition and boot /vmlinuz /initrd.img

There might be an initial problem if the installer messes up the usb MBR, needing refit to check and update, but I dont think it should be needed.
    Ok will give that a try thanks!

Do you know if I have to use Intrepid Ibex, or could I use Hardy Heron? I ask because KScope doesn't seem to work on Intrepid Ibex.

CC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChickenpants View Post
    Ok will give that a try thanks!

Do you know if I have to use Intrepid Ibex, or could I use Hardy Heron? I ask because KScope doesn't seem to work on Intrepid Ibex.

CC
    To use grub.efi it needs kernel version 2.6.26 or later. That is ubuntu 810 ibex (2.6.27) or debian lenny (2.6.26), hardy is 2.6.24, wont work. Try 810, get it working and then see how you can tweak it, you may not have to go without agp. IDK about Kscope, maybe that can be fixed.

Scratch my comment about using refit to update usb MBR - it can only do the HD. You can do the USB mbr by installing the linux refit package, which has the gptsync utility, and can update MBR on any drive. Hopefully you wont need that at first.

I cant recall any major problems last time I did it.

Beans

Thanks for the help. Got it working now.

The trick to getting the installer program to recognize the USB stick as a valid install media is to leave the non-boot partition as unalloacted space.
    Make sure to unmount the boot partition (this was my biggest stumbling block).
    You can then just choose the guided use all free space partition mode in the installer.

Once I had it installed, it booted up fine.
    I let the system update and the system stopped booting due to the
    PCI INT A try and use pci-biosirq (can't remember the error exactly). But I stuck the acpi=force into my grub.cfg and that sorted that.

Whilst updating I seemed to get quite a few failures, which meant that updating took 5 or 6 reboots. In the end I had to remove some items and re-install them as package manager had gotten into a mess with partially installed packages.

I finally had it installed and working fine, and then started tweaking, so now I have managed to lock myself out of the installation
    I am not sure that my flash drive is behaving too well anyway so I will try on slightly larger portable hard drive instead, as I think some of the update issues were caused by the usb drive dropping out.

So, a final question!
    I used a MBR fat partition as my boot partition as I would like to use this installation on a normal windows PC as well as my macbook. Will blessing the drive work on a non HFS drive GUID drive? I tried blessing both the efi directory and the drive itself but it didn't seem to show up in my boot menu when I started up my mac.

p.s. If I write up my experiences/issues would anyone object to me posting it to Lifehacker.com, as it would probably result in quite a number of people trying to usb boot their macs, and I wouldn't want to flood you guys with cries for help.

Cheers
    CC

Beans

Please test this new version of grub.efi (64-bit), it contains new code for appleloader command to handle late 2008 modal (nv chipset).

btw, if you have 4G memory, please try t.efi and see if it hangs.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bean123; February 13th, 2009 at 05:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

@bean123: on my MacBook 3,1 (with 4Gb ram) t.efi shows only (for less than second):
    Code:
    Hello World!
    Hello World!
    and go back to rEFIt menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bean123 View Post
    Please test this new version of grub.efi (64-bit), it contains new code for appleloader command to handle late 2008 modal (nv chipset).

judging from this description, it is targeted at the macbook5,1 and macbookpro5,1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

imac8,1 ( april 2008 ) radeon HD2600 and MacBook Pro 4,1. NVidia8600, both 2GB RAM
    bean123 x86_64 test version grub.efi t.efi

0. appleloader HD or CD works (slowly) from mennuentry but not from grub> command line
    (same as before)

1. grub.efi chainloader now loads Mac OSX 10.5 (very fast) using grub.cfg
    (did not work before)

menuentry "MacOSX" {
    search --set /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
    chainloader /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
    }

However, from the grub> command line chainloader, no errors, but does not load MacOSX, just returns /EndEntire/filepath:..... /End Entire.
    ( That is the same behaviour as grub.efi x86 on MacBook2,1.)

2. t.efi flashes "Hello World" and exits.

I had tested the gnu-efi 3.0 apps (t.efi....t7.efi) on Imac8,1 amd MPP4,1
    with 4GB RAM, with similar result for t.efi, some others ran partly.

3. Have not tested this grub.efi with 4GB RAM as yet.

4. From previous rev 1972, grub.efi is booting unbuntu 2.6.27 i386 kernel and displaying startup text until it hangs looping on ata4 timeout (see picture).
    To get visible text I had to change Video frame buufer settings in
    /loader/i386/efi/linux.c:
    grub_find_video_card and grub_linux_setup_video
    ---------------
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pxwpxw; February 14th, 2009 at 05:34 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by [LocK] View Post
    @bean123: on my MacBook 3,1 (with 4Gb ram) t.efi shows only (for less than second):
    Code:
    Hello World!
    Hello World!
    and go back to rEFIt menu.
    Could you see if the bean123 grub.efi runs with your 4GB ram please? There was a problem with it just hanging for 4GB.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pxwpxw View Post
    imac8,1 ( april 2008 ) radeon HD2600 and MacBook Pro 4,1. NVidia8600, both 2GB RAM
    bean123 x86_64 test version grub.efi t.efi

0. appleloader HD or CD works (slowly) from mennuentry but not from grub> command line
    (same as before)

1. grub.efi chainloader now loads Mac OSX 10.5 (very fast) using grub.cfg
    (did not work before)

menuentry "MacOSX" {
    }

However, from the grub> command line chainloader, no errors, but does not load MacOSX, just returns /EndEntire/filepath:..... /End Entire.
    ( That is the same behaviour as grub.efi x86 on MacBook2,1.)
    Have you forgot to use boot command at the command line ?

boot

When used in menuentry, the boot command is appended automatically.

2. t.efi flashes "Hello World" and exits.

I had tested the gnu-efi 3.0 apps (t.efi....t7.efi) on Imac8,1 amd MPP4,1
    with 4GB RAM, with similar result for t.efi, some others ran partly.
    Oh, gnu-efi is working, then the problem might be in the elf -> pe32+ conversion tool. I would post another testing efi later.

4. From previous rev 1972, grub.efi is booting unbuntu 2.6.27 i386 kernel and displaying startup text until it hangs looping on ata4 timeout (see picture).
    To get visible text I had to change Video frame buufer settings in
    /loader/i386/efi/linux.c:
    grub_find_video_card and grub_linux_setup_video
    ---------------
    I think the problem is caused by disk parameter fields in the linux header, which is set to all zeros. Usually, kernel can figure it out itself, but it can fail in some occasion.
    Last edited by bean123; February 14th, 2009 at 06:25 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Have you forgot to use boot command at the command line ?

boot

When used in menuentry, the boot command is appended automatically.
    Yes that was it. appleloader and chainloader both boot from command line now.

Oh, gnu-efi is working, then the problem might be in the elf -> pe32+ conversion tool. I would post another testing efi later.
    Pleas do

I think the problem is caused by disk parameter fields in the linux header, which is set to all zeros. Usually, kernel can figure it out itself, but it can fail in some occasion.
    Maybe a problem with 1920x1200 and/or dedicated VRAM as on the Imac8,1 and the MBP4,1 ?

Page 15 of 123 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast