View Poll Results: Do I need the Alternate CD?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

4 100.00%

Thread: SQUASHFS Error

Beans

SQUASHFS Error

I have a HP Pavilion 01110n desktop and when I try to boot a Ubuntu Live CD or a USB it get SQUASHFS ERRORS and I cannot boot Ubunutu. I can boot Puppy Linux off of a USB but my computer will not let me boot Ubuntu. Do I need an alternate CD.

Also I have tried 8.10 and 8.04LTS with the desktop ISO and I always get an SQUASHF ERROR. Any Ideas??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: SQUASHFS Error

SQUASHFS error sounds like a problem reading the CD. If you get it with USB too it makes me wonder about your memory. Try running memtest86+ for 20 minutes or so and see if all of your memory is good. If you have access to another CD-ROM driver, preferably on another computer, run the self-test and see if the CD validates as OK to install from.

The alternate CD is primarily interesting in scenarios where you have a complex disk layout (RAID & LVM), or you are doing servers, or you are doing off-line upgrades, or there is a hideous video problem you can't manage during the install but can fix afterwards. I wouldn't expect it to help in your case, as whatever CD-burning issue, or CD-reading issue, or memory issue is contributing to the squashfs errors would probably hit you eventually during either the text-mode install or post-install when you booted.

For most Linux distributions, including both Ubuntu and Fedora, the #1 cause of installation failures is invalid CD media. You could try burning it at a lower speed. It's also worth downloading the SHA1SUM file of checksums and verifying that your download was good.

The #2 cause of installation failures tends to be memory errors, hence the memtest86+ suggestion.

After those two causes it gets a lot more idiosyncratic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: SQUASHFS Error

I was receiving a ton of SQUASHFS errors when trying to install as well. What I found, thanks to this post is that my CDRom drive didn't recognize CD-R media. The CD player was quite old, manufactured in 2001. So, I swapped in a different CD player and I was able to install without issue.

Hope this helps

Z
    Desktop: MSI AM3 Motherboard, AMD Phenom II X3 720 CPU, 4GB G.Skill RAM, 200 + 120 GB HDDs. Running 12.10
    NoteBook: Dell XPS1530, Intel core2 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD. Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS Running 13.10