Thread: Weired Message on Pidgin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Exclamation Weired Message on Pidgin

Hi Everyone,

Just a day ago whenever I went to log in on on Pidgin it would require me to verify a SSL certificate (which I wasn't sure about n hence I asked my friend who also uses linux to help me match the SSL footprint)...which did n hence I accepted the certificates for both hotmail n gmail....

Now
    I just jot this message in one of the pidgin IM windows....it goes something like this:

(11:50:16 PM) nevazysyk@hotmail.com: http://www.SexySinglez.com SEX PARTNER ZIP CODE SEARCH

The funniest thing is that the hotmail address is NOT on my buddy list!!!!!

So my question is:
    Is this some kind of virus?
    and Is my computer compromised??

Thanks in Advance I'm one of those paranoid Noobs who started using Ubuntu because of paranoia surrounding Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Weired Message on Pidgin

Ive heard of SPAM IM, and I think pidgin actually makes a spam plugin. I'd have to look for it however.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Viking007, I think that your machine is fine cus I get those too and its just spam IMs. It is weird tho that its not an IM account but I still wouldn't worry about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wow....That was fast I thought I'll see some reply tomorrow or something....

So I guess I can sleep now that it's not too serious?...lol...but please let me know if you guys find if there's something serious about this issue as paranoia is not the best thing to have

Anyways, knowing that I didn't screw up my computer makes it better

Thanks, once again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes its always nice being able to sleep peacefully without worrying about your machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Bot Sentry is the name of the pidgin plugin that can block IM SPAM. I've added a section to my tutorial how to compile and install this plugin: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=975783. If by the off chance you are using windows there is a precompiled .exe available here: http://sourceforge.net/project/platf...roup_id=156021

Hopefully this plugin will help you!!!