Thread: Intrepid Ibex "failed to join domain: failed to get DC for domain xxxx.LOCAL" issue

Beans

Intrepid Ibex "failed to join domain: failed to get DC for domain xxxx.LOCAL" issue

I am having the "failed to join domain: failed to get DC for domain XXXX.LOCAL" issue in Intrepid - anyone else solve this? "net ads lookup dc" and "net ads info" work fine. Pinging DC by FQDN or netbios works fine. At least one other person is having the same issue (I emailed him to see if he'd had a resolution - he hasn't responded): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6252005 (entry by DouglasK on pg 18 ). I've stopped avahi, adjusted "hosts" line in /etc/nsswitch.conf (putting "dns" 2nd in list after "files")and added IP (of DC), netbios & fqdn domain (in caps) to /etc/hosts (below 127.0.1.1 entry). I don't know what else to do - I've been working on this for 8 days - I'd hate to have to reinstall to go back to 8.04 Hardy - BIG MESS. I have successfully integrated 8 Hardy servers with Windows network/DC - Hardy was simple - apparently many things changed with Intrepid. If anyone can help, it would be appreciated. Thanks

Beans

Re: Intrepid Ibex "failed to join domain: failed to get DC for domain xxxx.LOCAL" iss

I can't help, but maybe a little more information could help someone else explain it.

Kerberos appears to be failing preauthentication. In the example below, I have a valid ticket:

Code:
    root@comp:~# net ads join -U domainadmin
    Enter domainadmin's password: *BLANK*
    Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain 'REALM.COM' over rpc: Logon failure
    root@comp:~# net ads join -U domainadmin
    Enter domainadmin's password: *CORRECT PASSWORD*
    Using short domain name -- REALM
    Joined 'comp' to realm 'realm.com'
    [2008/12/03 14:27:21,  0] libads/kerberos.c:ads_kinit_password(356)
      kerberos_kinit_password COMP$@REALM.COM failed: Preauthentication failed
    root@comp:~#
    Hope that helps
    This works in Hardy (ie with a blank password). Does anyone know what is going wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Intrepid Ibex "failed to join domain: failed to get DC for domain xxxx.LOCAL" iss

I have also noticed same problem Ubuntu 8.10. I tried 5 different setup instructions for this, but it is not still working.

I have no clue how to solve this, so my only suggestion is to wait until someone solve it.
    Last edited by Metusalem; January 11th, 2009 at 04:54 PM.