Thread: Sound cuts out.

Beans

Sound cuts out.

SPECS:
    8.10 non dual boot that's less than 30 days old.
    Via / AC97 onboard sound
    AMD 3200+
    1gig RAM

Any time I watch a video from ANY source or listen to any music using any player the sound cuts out about every 45-60 seconds and lasts for about 2-4 seconds. I can pause whatever I'm listening to or watching for a couple seconds and when I unpause the sound comes back. No errors that I've seen and other than this small hitch Ubuntu has been a godsend.

I've tried switching back and forth from OSS to ALSA to Auto and everything in between in my Sound Preferences.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: Sound cuts out.

I hate bumping my own posts but does anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

I have also noticed that in any app whatever I'm playing skips forward about 4 seconds each time the sound stops.

Beans

I would start here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

Sorry I didn't see this earlier!

Beans

I should also mention that there are some updates in Intrepid Proposed! Alsa-utils and the pulse audio stuff is OK but some of the other updates still break things so if you decide to enable Intrepid Proposed in Software Sources be sure to "de-select" anything you don't trust! Then be sure to change Software Sources back again!

You break it, you own it

The proposed updates have not been fully tested yet! The same is true of backports! And sometimes there is no going backwards!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I should also mention that there are some updates in Intrepid Proposed! Alsa-utils and the pulse audio stuff is OK but some of the other updates still break things so if you decide to enable Intrepid Proposed in Software Sources be sure to "de-select" anything you don't trust! Then be sure to change Software Sources back again!

You break it, you own it

The proposed updates have not been fully tested yet! The same is true of backports! And sometimes there is no going backwards!
    Much appreciated, for both posts. I'll give them a try and see what happens.

Thank you.