Thread: Can you re-run the migration assistant?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Question Can you re-run the migration assistant?

Hi all,

I'm new to Ubuntu, and so far I'm really loving it. I have a question regarding the migration assistant:

As far as I could tell, when I installed Ubuntu it would let me migrate any Windows users only to the primary user I had set up during the initial installation (me). It presented me with check boxes for all of the Vista users, but since I only wanted to migrate my own (Vista) user settings to my Ubuntu account, I only checked my own Vista user in the list.

I'd like to also migrate settings from my wife's Vista user acount to another Ubuntu user account that I've created for her, but I can't find any way to get back into the migration portion of the setup - either from the installed OS or by rebooting from the install CD. Rebooting the install CD and selecting the install option wants to repartition, etc. so I can't just run through until I get back to the migration assistant... plus there would be no way to select the new user I've already set up for her as the destination, afaik.

Is it possible to do this, or is that beyond the scope of the migration assistant? It did a great job of migrating my bookmarks, etc. so it would be great if it could do that for her as well.

Thanks!

- Phil

Beans
    Distro

Re: Can you re-run the migration assistant?

Does anyone know if there's any way to do this? If this works for more than one user, then it will make it a lot easier for me to help others to break the Windows habit.

I was unable to find it but if I knew the path to the application on the Ubuntu CD, perhaps I could run it from there?

- Phil

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

yes please, i would really like to know how this is done.

Beans
    Distro

Apparently there's no way to do this, I searched through the files on the installation CD to no avail. The folks here are generally pretty helpful, if there was a way to do it then someone would have told us by now. So... I think we're out of luck!

It's a shame, because the migration assistant worked perfectly for one user. I'd like to make the suggestion that the next Ubuntu release have a more easily accessible migration assistant that works for more than one user.

Cheers,

- Phil

Beans

I think this would be useful as well - I had an NTFS partition go bad on me before I got the Ubuntu installer going, now I have a working Ubuntu system with backups of my Documents and Settings on an external drive and no way of importing them into Ubuntu.