Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA woes

Beans

Unhappy NVIDIA woes

I am a n00b only to Linux. I have been working on computers for 12 years but who would think installing an video driver pkg would be so tough? I have tried to run the package installer from terminal, using SUDO and it refuses to open. My syntax is correct. I have seen posts to run it as "sh NVIDIA-linux-x86-71.86.06-pkg1.run" and as "SUDO /NVIDIA....pkg1.run". The package fails to open. The card is not detected and only gives me 800x600 resolution. It is not available in the restricted drivers. I believe that editing my xorg.conf would have to be followed by a correct install of the vid driver pkg. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: NVIDIA woes

did you mark the file as executable?

Code:
    chmod +x filename
    also

SUDO /NVIDIA....pkg1.run is incorrect. you forgot the period. it should be

SUDO ./NVIDIA....pkg1.run

Beans

You'll need to install nvidia drivers in terminal console by pressing alt+ctrl+F1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

-- Notice: This is most likely outdated. --

EDIT: If you are new to this thread, be aware that nvidia does not support Xorg 1.5 on its legacy drivers.
    See: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show....php?p=1833180

ORIGINAL:
    The best thing you can do is just use the drivers in the repository by going to System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers

Second best is to install Envy,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk
    and subsequently install the drivers through the menu Applications -> System Tools -> EnvyNG

If you must use the drivers from nVidia, which aren't supported or tested by Canonical, you can, but it's not easy!

Prepare to compile by getting the necessary packages: (Note, all lines are separate commands and they are case sensitive!)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install linux-source gcc build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
    cd /usr/src
    sudo tar xvjf ./linux-source*.tar.bz2
    Create a symbolic link from the extracted folder to /usr/src/linux, based on which version. For 2.6.27 it would be:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.27 /usr/src/linux
    Disable conflicting modules:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common
    Add nv nvidia_new to DISABLED_MODULES:
    DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"
    and save the file.

Prevent more conflictions: (see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490\)
    Code:
    sudo rm /lib/linux-restricted-modules/.nvidia_new_installed
    sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-glx* nvidia-settings
    sudo rm /etc/init.d/nvidia*
    Get the driver you wish to install. Check nvidia's website for a url to the driver you should run. I am going to use 71.86.07 x86 (beta legacy driver) for this example
    Code:
    cd /usr/src
    sudo wget ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/71.86.07/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.07-pkg0.run
    sudo chmod +x ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.07-pkg0.run
    sudo ln -s /usr/src/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.07-pkg0.run /usr/src/nvidia-driver
    ****************BEGIN Installation
    We can't install the nvidia driver with X running... so you might want to write down/print this section
    Hit Ctrl + Alt+ f2 to get to a full screen tty. Login, and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    cd /usr/src
    sudo ./nvidia-driver
    Follow the on-screen steps. Choose yes when it asks if you would like to run the nvidia configuration utility. When all is said and done you can start the gui with:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    *****************END

Important:
    When there is an update to mesa you will need to reinstall the package by repeating the steps marked in the Installation region.

Also Important:
    When you update your kernel, you will have to recompile the kernel module. You can have post-update scripts do this for you by following the instructions here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=835573
    Last edited by LibertyShadow; October 28th, 2009 at 03:00 AM. Reason: added color to emphasize the "separate command," and made a little easier

Beans

I've tried it with the ./NVIDIA...etc and same result. There seems to be an overall resistance to Ubuntu running that package, for whatever reason. If I have to modify X, fine but I need one cohesive solution to attacking this. It's one driver. Do I need to mess with xorg.cfg at all?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyShadow View Post
    The best thing you can do is just use the drivers in the repository by going to System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers

Second best is to install Envy,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk
    and subsequently install the drivers through the menu Applications -> System Tools -> EnvyNG

If you must use the drivers from nVidia, which aren't supported or tested by Canonical, you can, but it's not easy!

Prepare to compile by getting the necessary packages: (Note, all lines are separate commands and they are case sensitive!)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gcc xserver-xorg-dev build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
    sudo apt-get install linux-source-2.6.24
    cd /usr/src
    sudo tar xvjf ./linux-source-2.6.24.tar.bz2
    sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.24/ /usr/src/linux
    Disable conflicting modules:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common
    Add nv nvidia_new to DISABLED_MODULES:

and save the file.

Prevent more conflictions: (see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490\)
    Code:
    sudo rm /lib/linux-restricted-modules/.nvidia_new_installed
    sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-new nvidia-settings nvidia-kernel-common
    sudo rm /etc/init.d/nvidia-*
    ****************BEGIN Installation
    We can't install the nvidia driver with X running... so you might want to write down/print this section
    Hit Ctrl + Alt+ f2 to get to a full screen tty. Login, and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    cd <directory you downloaded to>
    sudo chmod +x ./NVIDIA-linux-x86-71.86.06-pkg1.run
    sudo ./NVIDIA-linux-x86-71.86.06-pkg1.run
    Follow the on-screen steps. Choose yes when it asks if you would like to run the nvidia configuration utility. When all is said and done you can start the gui with:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    *****************END

Important:
    When there is an update to mesa you will need to reinstall the package by repeating the steps marked in the Installation region.

Also Important:
    When you update your kernel, you will have to recompile the kernel module. You can have post-update scripts do this for you by following the instructions here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=835573
    +1 to that.I use Envy and I had no problems at all.

Beans

Thanks Liberty-I tried step 1, using evnyng and was told the same thing: No Proprietary drivers are in use on this system". What now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What is the output of

Code:
    lspci |grep nV

Beans

mVidia Corporation NV5 [RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro] (rev 15)

Still no luck running even the nVidia x-config utility.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The 71.86.xx series of drivers should support that chip ...

What version of Ubuntu are you using?

If you're using Hardy, have you tried using the "nvidia-glx-legacy" package? That contains 71.86.04. Check out this documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia
    Last edited by LibertyShadow; November 27th, 2008 at 06:59 AM.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast