Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Wii Remote in Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: Wii Remote in Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10)

My Wii Remote works absolutely fine with my USB IR thingy, except for one thing:
    when the pointer is at the edge of the screen I can (obviously) move the remote further away. However, as soon as I start moving it back the pointer moves, too. As a direct result, the relationship between where I point and where the pointer is is not always the same.

I'd like the remote to work a bit more like on the Wii, itself: i.e. the pointer only moves within the proper region of where I point the remote.
    So far, I haven't seen how to fix this up. Any advice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Anybody have any hints or links on how to talk to the Wii Balance Board?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
    My Wii Remote works absolutely fine with my USB IR thingy, except for one thing:
    when the pointer is at the edge of the screen I can (obviously) move the remote further away. However, as soon as I start moving it back the pointer moves, too. As a direct result, the relationship between where I point and where the pointer is is not always the same.

I'd like the remote to work a bit more like on the Wii, itself: i.e. the pointer only moves within the proper region of where I point the remote.
    So far, I haven't seen how to fix this up. Any advice?
    I'll look deeper into this! But I haven't seen anything this far.

Quote Originally Posted by regebro View Post
    Anybody have any hints or links on how to talk to the Wii Balance Board?
    As of right now there's no way to do it, just nunchuck, classic controller and wiiguitar are usable via cwiid.

I'll keep searching and post back my findings!

7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Trebaruna: apparently the "range" of the wiimote on the screen is decided by the IR LEDs you have installed. I recommend you install/put one on each end of your monitor (top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right) and that way you might have more control over how and where it goes. Or you can get a Wireless Wii Sensor Bar for $20 at GameStop and that'll work like a charm, I know 'cause I have one. As far a Wii-like control, well it's pretty hard to nail it down, but with what I told you I think you''ll be fine .

regebro: I found an article here on the CWIID project page that is exactly what you wanted, BUT it's still a "demo"...and there's some compiling in need to be done, so only do this is you're comfortable compiling and testing new apps.

I hope I could answer your questions like you wanted/needed.

Keep posting!
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toshibawarrior View Post
    Or you can get a Wireless Wii Sensor Bar for $20 at GameStop and that'll work like a charm, I know 'cause I have one. As far a Wii-like control, well it's pretty hard to nail it down, but with what I told you I think you''ll be fine .
    Do you have a Wii? If not, how are you powering the Sensor Bar?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Dan23945 View Post
    Do you have a Wii? If not, how are you powering the Sensor Bar?
    I have a Wii, but if you turn on a Wii near the wiimote the Wii will take over the wiimote and the computer won't be able to use it.

I have a wired sensor bar (the wii's one) but I just use it for Wii. I bought a NYKO Wireless Sensor Bar which uses 4 AA batteries and it lasts a decent amount of time.

Anyways, I prefer accelerometer mode.

Keep posting
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

Is there a way to prevent the Wii from taking over the Wiimote? I would like to test everything with my sisters Wii before I purchase the remote and NYKO Sensor Bar. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, you can un-sync your wiimote from the Wii, or if the controller is brand new then you just program it for Ubuntu and don't sync it with the Wii (by pressing the red button on the front of the console and on the back of the wiimote).

Basically if you hold the SYNC button down on the Wii for 15 seconds, it will clear all synced Wii Remotes from the console. So that way the Wii won't take over the wiimote when on. To sync back just follow the instruction in the manual.
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

My plan is to use the Wiimote as a remote for Boxee. In your opinion, is using the Wiimote in Ubuntu similar enough to using it on the Wii, that it will serve my purpose? Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In my opinion they're very different applications...the Wii has a lot more stability and precision, but Ubuntu manages quite well. In accelerometer mode it's kinda weird, bur in InfraRed mode it controls very alike the Wii with some minor differences based on the position of the IR LEDs or IR sources.

I believe it'll serve your purpose quite nicely. I use it with VLC, Amarok, Compiz, Rhythmbox, Secret Maryo Chronicles, FretsOnFire, ZSNES, and many other programs and it works pretty well. I use it as a mouse too and it works nicely.

I hope I answered your question !
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast