Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Wii Remote in Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Wii Remote in Ubuntu 10.04 doesn't work.

Hi!

I have been trying to use Wiimote as a mouse or joystick in Ubuntu 10.04. It seems doesn't to work.

I have problems with modprobe and uinput.

Code:
    >>lswm
    Put Wiimotes in discoverable mode now (press 1+2)...
    00:22:4C:8D:FF:F7
    >>wm2js -c 00:22:4C:8D:FF:F7
    Searching Wiimotes ; press 1+2 or the red SYNC button...
    Connection established! 0x7fffc4026df0
    Warning: Unable to open uinput device ; hint: 'modprobe uinput' ?!
    Error: Registering the uinput device failed, aborting!
    modprobe uinput doesn't help. wmgui and lswm works fine.

Has anyone managed to fix this in Ubuntu 10.04?

Antti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Wii Remote in Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10)

Quote Originally Posted by greyfox1 View Post
    For anyone having issues getting wminput to run without root privileges (i.e. gksudo), I got this working in Karmic by doing the following after confirming that it worked using gksudo once I had followed this tutorial:

1. I created the file: /etc/udev/rules.d/80-wminput.rules. This file contains only the text:
    Code:
    KERNEL=="uinput", MODE="0666"
    2. At this point, I confirmed that I could get my wiimote working without root privileges by opening a Terminal and issuing the command:

Code:
    wminput -c ir_ptr [wiimote MAC address]

3. Once I knew I could get this working without root privileges, I went to System->Preferences->Startup Applications and created a new item with the command I confirmed was working in Terminal in step 2 above. Wminput now starts when I log in, which is perfect since I use XBMC on this particular machine, which also starts up when I log in. The only tricky part is I have to press 1+2 on the wiimote at the right time during login, or else wminput won't grab it.

NOTE: There are various instructions out there that recommend configuring the file in step 1 by user group rather than by mode 0666. I tried and tried but couldn't get it working using the group method. Try this at your own risk as the "mode" method is slightly less secure, but at least it works. HTH!
    Have you managed to get this working under 10.04?

Antti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Sorry for the bump... but is there anyone who knows how I can successfully reverse everything in the tutorial? I have removed wminput, wmgui, and lswm, but I am still having an issue that I believe was caused by this tutorial.
    Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Thank you, this was very helpful! It seems to work better than GlovePIE and it's ON all the time, you don't have to press B to move the pointer. Nice!

- How do you get wiimote to auto-start at boot up?

- How do you get wiimote to auto-start on resume from S3? I noticed sometimes it's still alive.

- Why do you have to keep login into a mouse?!! Is there a way to create a shortcut that starts wii and auto-logs in?

What does this mean? It's a quote form the OP:

To create another icon to kill all running wminput processes, do the same as above, but for the command use this

Code:
      gksudo killall wminput
    Use gksudo here too because you might need to type in your password again.

The advantage of using these two icons to run wminput, is that you can turn off your Wii remote (by pressing and holding the power button on your Wii remote) when you start watching a DVD / listening to music to save battery power, then if you wish to start using your Wii remote again, simply press buttons 1 + 2 on your Wii remote and Ubuntu will automatically connect to your Wii remote again as before without having to pick up a keyboard or mouse to do so.
    A good idea if this works. We're talking multimedia here, you don't want a keyboard at your living room couch, or another mouse to start the first mouse.

//

Beans

I get this message box when machine resumes from suspend S3. It does it in the Root account and regular accounts as well. Any ideas how to fix this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Hello,
    sorry for bringing up an old post.
    I have a wiimote (accelerometer mode, I just need to use the buttons) correctly running with wmimput both in ubuntu 9.10 and 10.10 .
    However i have a problem : I would like to automatically pair the wiimote at boot , without pressing 1+2 to put wiimote in discovery mode.
    Actually I just run
    $ sudo wminput -c /etc/my-wiimote-conf.conf
    and i have to press 1+2 to connect wiimote.

I would like to keep permantly paired my wiimote with my all-in-one pc.

Is there a way to do that ?
    if i run :
    $ sudo wminput -c /etc/my-wiimote-conf.conf my:wiimote:mac:address
    doesn't change anything, wmimput is still asking me to press 1+2

Can anyone help me ?
    thanks in advance.
    KiaZ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello KiaZ,

As far as I know, there's no way to do that. As soon as the bluetooth connection with your PC is lost or terminated (either by turning off the PC or manually killing the process) the Wiimote turns off.

But then again I've been away from this post for a long time and I don't even use Ubuntu anymore (Bought an iMac 6 months ago). I'm sorry I can't help you further with this issue. Last time I tested this guide was with Intrepid Ibex, I don't what could have changed over the years.
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toshibawarrior View Post
    Hello KiaZ,

As far as I know, there's no way to do that. As soon as the bluetooth connection with your PC is lost or terminated (either by turning off the PC or manually killing the process) the Wiimote turns off.

But then again I've been away from this post for a long time and I don't even use Ubuntu anymore (Bought an iMac 6 months ago). I'm sorry I can't help you further with this issue. Last time I tested this guide was with Intrepid Ibex, I don't what could have changed over the years.
    Hello, thanks for answering...
    So there's no way to avoid putting wiimote in discovery mode every time you reboot ...
    I will find temporary workaround, but I read on many wminput guides that you have to specify wiimote mac address to use wmimput. Well, my wminput version works without mac address, always asking to press 1+2 to pair.
    If there would be a way to permantly add my wiimote mac address to wminput or whatever other program ... would be extremly helpful ....

Beans

wminput works with or without the MAC address on the command line.

When you suspend S3 wiimote usually disconnects, so on resume you have to press 1+2 to reconnect, it's just how the wiimote is designed to work.

Using the -d daemon option works without requiring a keyboard or another mouse to restart the wiimote, BUT -d option causes intermittent OS crashes on both my machines, so I've stopped using it.

Beans

Hi, I've been using wiiremote with Maverick and it worked fine. I can't make it work anymore with natty (nor wmgui, nothing happens...) Does anyone have a clue?

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast