Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Wii Remote in Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Wii Remote in Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
    I didn't get around to doing some wiimote research last weekend. - Where I was going to post about this.

As the upcoming weekend is longer for me than most weekends, I should have some more time to play around with my wiimote, and note my discoveries.

I have gotten it to work as a joystick before, and from memory it wasn't too hard to get going.

For now, you may learn how to do it from reading through this thread:-
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5232024
    - There's a lot of pages there, and a lot to wade through, and you'll need to experiment as well.
    ... Or you can just wait a week, and I'll hopefully have the answers you seek.

- Rhubarb.
    Thanks. I'll poke in and snif around as well as check back.

That was the guide I was following - all it says under the first section:

Allow your Wii remote to be a keyboard / mouse / joystick:-
    Unless you want to run sudo modprobe uinput every time you start Ubuntu, it's recommend you make it automatically run upon Ubuntu start up.
    Code:

gksudo gedit /etc/modules

Add this line at the end of the file:
    Code:

uinput

So the whole file should look exactly like this:
    Code:

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
    # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

fuse
    lp
    sbp2
    uinput

You may restart your computer for the settings to take effect, or if you're impatient and want to play with your Wii remote now (without having to restart your computer) you can run this:
    Code:

sudo modprobe uinput
    I've done all that and I'm obviously missing something to make it work as an input device other than a mouse. Do I need to add the xorg.conf info as well?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bioshake View Post
    ... I've done all that and I'm obviously missing something to make it work as an input device other than a mouse. Do I need to add the xorg.conf info as well?
    Ok, I've just played around a little, and managed to get my wiimote working as a joystick quite easily.

Make up a file named: /etc/cwiid/wminput/joystick
    And put this into it:
    Code:
    #joystick

include joystick_buttons

Plugin.acc.X	= ABS_X
    Plugin.acc.Y	= ABS_Y
    Then make up another file named: /etc/cwiid/wminput/joystick_buttons
    And put this into it:
    Code:
    #joystick_buttons

Wiimote.A	= BTN_A
    Wiimote.B	= BTN_B
    Wiimote.Minus	= BTN_X
    Wiimote.Plus	= BTN_Y
    You can probably reference /etc/cwiid/wminput/gamepad too

The trick to getting your wiimote to appear as a joystick, and not just a keyboard / mouse, is to make sure you don't bind any mouse buttons to your wiimote.

I have discovered something rather odd, this worked fine in Ubuntu 8.04, but in Ubuntu 8.10 it seems binding keyboard buttons mostly doesn't work.
    - I haven't researched this enough, it may well be because I use a dvorak keyboard layout rather than qwerty.

If you wish to test your wiimote working as a joystick, it's probably best to have nothing in your /etc/cwiid/wminput/joystick_buttons.

Once all setup, you can get your wiimote running as a joystick like so:
    Code:
    sudo wminput -c joystick 00:1F:32:95:EF:B0
    The 00:1F:32:95:EF:B0 address is obtained by running lswm to obtain your wiimote address.

Now hopefully I have some time to test out XWii ...
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

First I'd like to say thanks for this tutorial. I had it working in less than 5 minutes. I have one minor question though...

I want to use my WiiMote with Boxee, but the accelerometer based cursor movement is a real pain in that environment. It works much better with the D-pad only. Is there a way for me to disable the accelerometers?

Any help is as always greatly appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DarkN00b View Post
    First I'd like to say thanks for this tutorial. I had it working in less than 5 minutes. I have one minor question though...

I want to use my WiiMote with Boxee, but the accelerometer based cursor movement is a real pain in that environment. It works much better with the D-pad only. Is there a way for me to disable the accelerometers?

Any help is as always greatly appreciated.
    Ok, it's really quite easy to disable the accelerometers, you just need to remove the following 2 lines from your /etc/cwiid/wminput/ir_ptr file:
    Code:
    Plugin.ir_ptr.X	= ABS_X
    Plugin.ir_ptr.Y	= ABS_Y
    If you want to use your D-Pad to control the mouse (if you haven't already got this working yet), I've quickly got this mostly working:
    Code:
    Wiimote.Dpad.X	= REL_X
    Wiimote.Dpad.Y	= -REL_Y
    It's really quite crap, but it's promising.
    I do know somehow it's possible to adjust the scale, so rather than jumping only 1 pixel, it can jump 4 pixels at a time.
    Also I'm not sure if it's possible to push + hold the D-Pad down to constantly move the cursor in your desired direction.
    But it's a good start anyway, I know it's possible to do the scale thing, I just need to do a bit of a search on the net to find out the correct syntax for it.

Let me know if this works for you, and how you get on with it
    -Rhubarb
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Ok, it's really quite easy to disable the accelerometers, you just need to remove the following 2 lines from your /etc/cwiid/wminput/ir_ptr file:
    Code:
    Plugin.ir_ptr.X	= ABS_X
    Plugin.ir_ptr.Y	= ABS_Y
    OK, that worked (mostly). I made the changes to ir_ptr and started wminput with
    Code:
    wminput -q -c ir_ptr NN:NN:NN:NN:NN:NN
    The problem is that when I press the "A" button the cursor jumps to the middle of the screen and executes a left mouse button press. If I need to I can use Xmodmap to remap the "A" button to the Enter key.

EDIT: This was an easy fix. In my case all I needed to do was open /etc/cwiid/wminput/buttons and change the second line so it reads
    Code:
    Wiimote.A		= KEY_ENTER
    Now everything works perfectly. Thanks a lot!

If you want to use your D-Pad to control the mouse (if you haven't already got this working yet), I've quickly got this mostly working:
    Code:
    Wiimote.Dpad.X	= REL_X
    Wiimote.Dpad.Y	= -REL_Y
    It's really quite crap, but it's promising.
    I do know somehow it's possible to adjust the scale, so rather than jumping only 1 pixel, it can jump 4 pixels at a time.
    Also I'm not sure if it's possible to push + hold the D-Pad down to constantly move the cursor in your desired direction.
    But it's a good start anyway, I know it's possible to do the scale thing, I just need to do a bit of a search on the net to find out the correct syntax for it.

Let me know if this works for you, and how you get on with it
    -Rhubarb
    I don't want to use the D-pad to control the mouse in this situation. The keyboard arrow keys can be used for navigation in Boxee and the D-pad is great for that because it simulates perfectly the behaviour of a television remote.

I also have it set up so that no admin privileges are needed to connect, so no "gksudo".

Thanks for the reply!
    Last edited by DarkN00b; January 28th, 2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Fixed my problem...

Beans

I don't know how useful this is to anybody but I had set up my Wiimote/Bluetooth just like in Hardy and couldn't get it to work despite several package purges etc.

Then I played around with it and found a way to connect to my Wiimote anyway. Wminput and Wmgui wouldn't do the authorization for some reason so I had to employ a third party so to speak.

Simply start WMgui or WMinput and start the polling for your Wiimote (where you would get an error). While the Wiimote is blinking away and the program polling open another terminal and run:

Code:
    sudo hcitool cc <MAC of Wiimote>
    This does the trick for me and my Wiimote is then found correctly by wminput AND wmgui. I guess something in the app code for the two was screwed up so you have to make hcitool do the authentication/connection for you so the wminput/gui can then take over. I wish they'd work that out but so far this is my solution and the only one that works for me.

Beans

Wow, that's quite a nice trick there meist3r.

May I ask if you're running Intrepid or Hardy there?
    If you're running Intrepid, did you do a clean install, or did you upgrade from Hardy?

The reason why I'm asking is because it seems there are many problems with wiimote based applications in Intrepid if the system has been upgraded from Hardy.
    - This is because of the libbluetooth package:-
    Hardy comes with libbluetooth2
    Intrepid comes with libbluetooth3
    But when Intrepid has been upgraded from Hardy, it keeps libbluetooth2 rather than replacing it with libbluetooth3.

Perhaps the workaround you've found overcomes this problem.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this meist3r to all of us, much appreciated.
    -Rhubarb
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans

I do actually run an 8.10 system upgraded from Hardy. Are there any accounts of people with fresh Ibex installs not havin these problems? I certainly know that on Hardy I didn't have to jump through any of these hoops.

Hope someone will get their Wiimote to work. I certainly did. I didn't even think about it again but then I came across Cave Story and wanted to play that with a gamepad (my dvorak keyboard has the keys in all the wrong places). Then I thought about wminput and after some hours of trying here I am. Still got some problems with the keymapping because of my layout but I can steer, jump, switch weapons and shoot. That's all I need directly on the gamepad.

I sure hope this will be fixed in Jaunty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As Rhubarb said (so did I) upgrades from Hardy to Intrepid end up in wiimote disaster...I'd say that 99.9% of upgrades break wiimote usage due to the libbluetooth issue.

I always recommend installing Ubuntus from scratch...you'll waste less time that way.

You could fix ALL of your wiimote-problems by simply making a fresh install of Intrepid. I did and I'm 1005 problem free.

See ya around!
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toshibawarrior View Post
    As Rhubarb said (so did I) upgrades from Hardy to Intrepid end up in wiimote disaster...I'd say that 99.9% of upgrades break wiimote usage due to the libbluetooth issue.

I always recommend installing Ubuntus from scratch...you'll waste less time that way.

You could fix ALL of your wiimote-problems by simply making a fresh install of Intrepid. I did and I'm 1005 problem free.

See ya around!
    I installed intrepid from scratch on an acer one. It doesn't work without meist3r trick, it works with it.

I have another machine with updated intrepid, works with the trick, doesn't work without it.

And another machine with updated hardy works fine without the trick, same usb bluethooth dongle that with the other two.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast