Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux sucks on audio recording!!

Beans

Linux sucks on audio recording!!

For me, Linux sucks on audio recording. Why?

1. Audacity. I used to edit audio with audacity on windows, Great software, so I was expecting that it will works on linux in the same way. Guess what?? it crashes!! with Alsa drivers it just get blocked. OSS driver (With alsa emulation) doesn't work. Ironically, the wine emulation of Audacity for windows works fine... Why??
    2. Ardour?? it requires jack, so I do install jack and configure it with qjackctl. It just make things worse!! How I can configure the correct latency and buffer parameters for my laptop?? With every configuration it just play audio very noisy, I've tried every configuration that i saw in many forums, and the result is the same.
    3. Jockosher. A very unstable software, it is capable of open the audio devices, and records from mic, but eventually crashes without any advice.
    4. Sweep. As same as jokosher, with a better interface. But crashes.
    5. Rezound?? crashes.

I hope to make audacity working fine on linux, but none of the existing sound servers work well. ALSA just crash the app, Jack always sounds awful with noises and eventually crashes. OSS just can't open the device.

The audio device works fine, because Skype runs fine, also audacious and LMMS runs wonderfully. So I can't figure out what's happening!! I have a descent laptop dell 1420 2G ram core 2 duo. Its audio driver is Intel 8280.

It's sad, but after this issue I have to say that the only aspect, the core only one aspect, where Windows rules is on audio edition. because in every other aspects windows totally sucks every time. (2000,xp,vista every version all of them are the same ****!!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Linux sucks on audio recording!!

http://64studio.com/

it seems that proff does use linux also.
    i use this distro myself and it works out of the box with all things needed to make music.

there is a live cd so you can test it out first,
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unfortunately it's true, and there's very little defence for it.

Windows requires very little fiddling to get the sound working perfectly across applications. Sure, there's always going to be the crowd who says that Windows dumbs it down too much and isn't very flexible, but 99% of users don't want to know what Alsa, Pulse and OSS are.

Audio is one of the areas in which Linux doesn't "just work". There are threads in the forums with polls asking what needs to be done about the audio situation, and the last time I checked, the concensus was that it pretty much needs to be re-done, because the audio situation is unfortunately quite awful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by superoptimo View Post
    For me, Linux sucks on audio recording. Why?

1. Audacity. I used to edit audio with audacity on windows, Great software, so I was expecting that it will works on linux in the same way. Guess what?? it crashes!! with Alsa drivers it just get blocked. OSS driver (With alsa emulation) doesn't work. Ironically, the wine emulation of Audacity for windows works fine... Why??
    2. Ardour?? it requires jack, so I do install jack and configure it with qjackctl. It just make things worse!! How I can configure the correct latency and buffer parameters for my laptop?? With every configuration it just play audio very noisy, I've tried every configuration that i saw in many forums, and the result is the same.
    3. Jockosher. A very unstable software, it is capable of open the audio devices, and records from mic, but eventually crashes without any advice.
    4. Sweep. As same as jokosher, with a better interface. But crashes.
    5. Rezound?? crashes.

I hope to make audacity working fine on linux, but none of the existing sound servers work well. ALSA just crash the app, Jack always sounds awful with noises and eventually crashes. OSS just can't open the device.

The audio device works fine, because Skype runs fine, also audacious and LMMS runs wonderfully. So I can't figure out what's happening!! I have a descent laptop dell 1420 2G ram core 2 duo. Its audio driver is Intel 8280.

It's sad, but after this issue I have to say that the only aspect, the core only one aspect, where Windows rules is on audio edition. because in every other aspects windows totally sucks every time. (2000,xp,vista every version all of them are the same ****!!)
    Audacity is a great piece of software. If you want to use Linux, it sounds like you may have to do some tweaking to get it to work correctly. My understanding is the Audacity developers have some modifications to make concerning the Linux audio setup and haven't got around to it yet. If you don't feel like tweaking is worth your time, use Windows.

conversely, try the advance search function of this forum to search thread titles for the word 'audacity' and you will come up with plenty of hits. Spend a little time looking through these and you will probably find some useful information.

Or use Windows. Up to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It would probably be in your interest to read a few how tos:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JACK_Audio_Connection_Kit

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...GettingStarted

http://www.ubustu.com/globe/2007/05/...ubuntu-studio/

If you are wondering how to sync applications together through jack.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...CtlConnections

http://www.ubustu.com/globe/2007/09/...n-with-ardour/

Audacity is a big piece of crap when compared to what you can do with ardour. A lot of professionals and big studios use ardour/jack/linux because it works great and is very reliable and is free.

Audacity is OK as a free alternative to the money you would have to spend to get a really good windows application but there is really no point to using something that the developers have no interest in keeping up in linux. The audacity devs are not putting much effort into this so if you are having problems with audacity in linux you should be complaining to the audacity developers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

http://64studio.com/

it seems that proff does use linux also.
    i use this distro myself and it works out of the box with all things needed to make music.
    I've never used this distro, but I second the suggestion to try it out. It seems to be solid, from what I've heard.

In any case, if you're going to do any serious recording you'll want to use a realtime kernel.

Mike

PS -- If you want something more Ubuntu-like, you could try Ubuntu Studio.
    Last edited by mbsullivan; November 25th, 2008 at 02:58 AM.

Beans

Ok. At first, please forgive me about my rude and offensive language. I don't want to blame to anybody.

The fact is that I want to get running Jack on my box. It is my last hope for getting running audio recording software.
    But Jack isn't running well. Why?? every configuration that I've tried gives me errors or a noisy distorted sound. How I could deal with this??

Facts:
    -My sound card doesn't support realtime.
    -My sound card doesn't support more than 2 buffers.
    -My sound card doesn't support more than 1024 Frames/buffer.

Does Jack support my mediocre sound card? (Intel 82801H)
    I've saw all those examples that are configured for a Creative labs or a sound blaster chip. Yes, those are the proper hardware for audio production indeed.

But I'm not pretending building my own production studio with my laptop. I simply want to record some audiologs for post them on internet. So I need it basic.

If jack doesn't work, what am I just supposed to do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i provided a link for a live cd which can do this simple stuff. you can also install it and use as a perfectly good hobby studio.
    picture of my current setup of 64studio which runs perfect attached..
    as you can see the studio is very hardware based. its easy for me to switch a usb plug on linux and put in another and i have not to worry about the drivers needing to be reinstalled as i did on windows. always when ever i pulled a usb plug it could not find the drivers for the new hardware. i use many different kinds of usb devises like drum machines and keyboards. which is why i would recommend you to try this live cd first and see what you think.
    good luck.
    Last edited by cmay; April 28th, 2009 at 11:17 PM.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by cmay View Post
    This looks like it could be exactly what I am looking for! What is 64studio like compared to Ubuntu Studio?
    NEVER under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use the commands: sudo rm -rf or rm -rf unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing! These commands will permanently erase data on your computer!

Guitarists! Show us what you can do!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

it works better overall i think. its stable and its build only with the purpose of making music. programs like audacity works in this right out of the box since its build around the concept that it is a studio set up.there is very little programs (no games) that has nothing to do with music like firefox. it is very stable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast