Thread: Audio suddenly stopped working on Ibex. Only faint static now.

Beans

Unhappy Audio suddenly stopped working on Ibex. Only faint static now.

Yesterday I noticed that audio was no longer playing on my Ibex system. Now all I get is some faint static. I know it's not a hardware issue because sound still works fine when I boot into Vista. I have not made any major changes to my setup. One thing though. Yesterday I had my system shutdown improperly (for what reason, I can't remember) and while shutting down the console seemed to hang on some line which said something about ALSA. Since I wasn't really paying attention at the time, I didn't think anything of it. Now that my audio stopped working, I realized that ALSA has something to do with audio.

So far I have followed the instructions on another thread on reinstalling the audio/ALSA components in Ubuntu, but that didn't work. If I go to Preferences->Sound in gnome and switch the playback to OSS, the test sound works. When it's set to ALSA or Autodetect all I get is the static on the test sounds. However, even with OSS selected for playback, I only get static when trying to play any sounds outside of that sound settings page. I really haven't changes anything. My sound's just broke.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Audio suddenly stopped working on Ibex. Only faint static now.

See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...37&postcount=3

Note: you must explicitly define your hardware soundcard when invoking alsamixer:
    Code:
    $ alsamixer -Dhw

Beans

Not really sure what that did there, but it seems to have worked.

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...37&postcount=3

Note: you must explicitly define your hardware soundcard when invoking alsamixer:
    Code:
    $ alsamixer -Dhw

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    Thanks for the link. I had the same problem which was caused by the PCM volume slider being turned all the way down as described in that post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Thanks, I had the exact same problem PCM volume at Zero anyone know the cause? I had recently installed ffmpeg and handbrake. Anyone else?