Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Hat Fedora Claims It's the Leader in Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Red Hat Fedora Claims It's the Leader in Linux

Red Hat's Fedora community Linux distribution has now tallied its user base, and it's a number that on the surface would make it the largest installed base of any Linux distribution, with at least 9.5 million users and possibly as many as 10.5 million. Fedora competitor Ubuntu Linux currently claims to have 8 million users.
    http://www.internetnews.com/software...le.php/3786726
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Re: Red Hat Fedora Claims It's the Leader in Linux

The way they calculated their user base is not acceptable.

But then, even if they are, I don't care.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

1 billion computer users and the top distro has 10 million of those? Seems rather small.

I bet ubuntu has more than the 8 million users claimed by Canonical. Mostly because of multiple computers on the same networks and lots of users using alternative mirrors for updates.

Either way it's a distraction. It's not numbers of users. It's solving the problems to hand that will make Ubuntu (or Fedora) more useful to users. It's far too easy to get all tribal about distros. But that time isn't yet, we have too much to do for bug #1.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by billgoldberg View Post
    The way they calculated their user base is not acceptable.

But then, even if they are, I don't care.
    I agree with you, the methodology is a joke. I am not discounting their position, but using IP addresses is just plain stupid.

From my 10+ years of using Linux, I saw many Red Hat users in the late 90's, Then saw many move to SUSE around 2002 or so. Of course, many distros now, but Ubuntu seems to be at the top for desktop with SUSE a close second.

Servers; Red Hat Enterprise hands down.
    The future will soon be a thing of the past.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Using IP's is a stupid way to do it. I say this because here in SA normal home users cannot get a static IP, every time we logon to the web we are assigned a new IP, and even with ADSL the network is reset every 24hours so its cases this that make it laughable.

Still, numbers are irrelevant.

Beans

They cannot calculate like that. it is not possible like that.
    where there is a will there is a way.LOOSUPAYA twitterFollow me

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Err, may I be the first to make a positive sound? Good for Fedora! They totally deserve that, since the Fedora project is almost single-handedly pushing desktop Linux forwards. Their work on new technologies benefits Ubuntu every release, and they are very good at contributing directly to upstream code.

Whether it's calculated precisely or not, they deserve that user base, because they are the ones who keep things moving and I have faith they will continue to do so in the future. (Largely because Red Hat, their corporate sponsor, is profitable at this point in time).

Not that there is any shame in Ubuntu, or Canonical, but it would be absolutely completely disrespectful, shameful and nasty to not welcome what Fedora has achieved for us
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; November 24th, 2008 at 09:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sounds like the guys at Fedora understand the consequences of their methodology
    The counting methodology has the potential to overcount the same machine if the box has a dynamic IP address that could change over time.

At the same time, the current counting methodology could also be leaving out a significant number of machines: A single unique IP address could be in front of many physical machines, ...

"So for everyone hopping addresses, there are probably some machines we're not counting because they are all coming from a single IP address," Frields said.

Anyone have any idea how Canonical counted the 8 million Ubuntu users, if not by IP addresses talking to repos or downloading iso's ?

Beans

Even if Fedora isn't leading Linux in terms of number of installations (which would be impossible for anybody to verify), they *are* leading Linux in terms of pushing the technology forward. They consistently roll out new features that later make their way into other distros.

I for one am looking forward to Fedora 10 coming out tomorrow .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just like every poll there is a margin for error.

And why compain about Fedora? Its a good distro, the interface seems much more polished than Ubuntu right out of the box (my opinion), and they have a support system based on a large industry standard. Good for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast