Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting thought...

Beans

Interesting thought...

I noticed that a lot of time my firewall will go and pop-up saying:

"attack prevented! [malware name] from [IP Address]"

Why does no one ever report these IPs to the police? Wouldn't that help weed out the amounts of viri distributing-computers out there? I mean after all, isn't virus distribution and creation a major crime in most countries?

Beans

Re: Interesting thought...

I don't know how, (I'm sure someone will tell us thought) but I think the IP's are very hard to trace.

Maybe they use Tor or a system like it, though I think they may be more effective & efficient.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't think the police would be able to do anything about it, especially if the attack is coming from foreign nations. It's already out of their jurisdiction. If it was foreign, it'd be even more out of their jurisdiction.

Beans

Well, a simple call to the ISP from the police to tell them to block internet access for stated I.P. probably would help a bit. I wouldn't think an I.P. would be very hard to trace if the ISP has a detailed log of who uses what.

Actually, there was a certain act put into effect in the United States that makes making and distributing malware illegal. Also, I know it would be out of their jurisdiction if it is a foreign attacker, but if it is in the country, why aren't they going after the attackers?
    Last edited by Grant A.; November 24th, 2008 at 08:49 AM.

Beans

Probably innocent users unknowingly part of a botnet

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershell View Post
    Probably innocent users unknowingly part of a botnet
    It would still be a good idea for the police to call them and tell them to immediately send their computer in to get fixed, if they can't do it themselves.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grant A. View Post
    It would still be a good idea for the police to call them and tell them to immediately send their computer in to get fixed, if they can't do it themselves.
    Then the police would spend all their time doing that instead of stopping real crimes. If anyone should be resposible, ISP's should be policing traffic over their own network. But the manpower required to make that feasible would make my internet connection no longer affordable to me... so no thanks. Those who don't properly secure their computer can suffer.

PS... most of those times your firewall pops those messages up it isn't really an attack... it just makes users who don't know ant better feel better. Malware protection software should never be seen or heard, IMO.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    I don't know how, (I'm sure someone will tell us thought) but I think the IP's are very hard to trace.

Maybe they use Tor or a system like it, though I think they may be more effective & efficient.
    http://www.whatismyipaddress.com can provide some information....and the ISP should have some kind of log that can pinpoint things down further.... A potential hitch, however, is when someone is hiding behind a proxy or other anonymizing system.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant A. View Post
    Actually, there was a certain act put into effect in the United States that makes making and distributing malware illegal. Also, I know it would be out of their jurisdiction if it is a foreign attacker, but if it is in the country, why aren't they going after the attackers?
    We have similar legislation here in NZ making it illegal to send out SPAM and other nusiance stuff.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

they're mostly worms, maybe the ips are on your isp even? the people on the computers probably have no idea, so it would be funny if they ended up getting locked up for it lol
    Thanks to the forums staff for your dedication and hard work
    (the admins changed my sig to that lol )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Most of the time it is just a port-scan, not an attack. And it isn't illegal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast