Thread: Ubuntu Server Fail Problem

Beans

Angry Ubuntu Server Fail Problem

Hello,

I have an old machine in my house that I installed linux on awhile back, got a nice little server for php development. I went to reinstall the system maybe tryout a new configuration ever sine I have been ridden with this one problem.

So basically it works for approx. a weeks time and then craps out on me, this has happened twice now. The first time I gave up on trying to fix it and reinstalled linux, using the older version thinking maybe the newest version has some problems. Again works for approx. a weeks time, now it has died.

Now you may be expecting an error no sir, the problem is when I restart it the network fails to function at all and after leaving the server at the ubuntu login: screen for a min this pops up on that line:

ubuntu login: * Reloading OpenBSD Secure Shell server's configuration sshd
    * Reloading Postfix configuration...
    Now after this occurs I cant cancel it using Ctrl+C nor do anything, if I do however login before this pops up I can cancel it but I still have no network, now I have checked cables and everything they work fine and this has happened twice.

One of my friends believes it is a harddrive corruption to blame but I really dought so as it works fine before hand then dies.

So if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated! I really like Ubuntu and its apt-get command I really dont want to have to switch to something else like CentOS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ubuntu Server Fail Problem

Have you solved this problem yet? I just setup Ubuntu Server 8 and have found a similar problem. Pressing F12 twice then 'enter' brought me back to the login prompt.