Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Family Friendly?

Beans

[SOLVED] Family Friendly?

I enjoyed setting up Ubuntu 8.10 with my 10 year old son. We learned about Ubuntu together and I was pleased that he was really engaged and interested in the whole process of installation and the philosophy of Ubuntu.

We looked at the various packages that can be installed - to see if there was anything that looked really interesting. We got some graphics and video applications. All excellent.

Then we hit a snag. "Daddy, what's Brainf**k?" he said. (This is the name of one of the packages).

Can I ask the community that develops Ubuntu and those that compile distributions, to please bear in mind that computers are family devices.

This forum's terms and conditions state "...you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar...". It's a great shame that the development community don't apply similar rules.

Beans

Re: Family Friendly?

The one thing you have to remember is that the "development community" with open source projects is...well...everyone. It's hard to get everyone to abide my the same rules. For the most part, the Ubuntu team keeps it family friendly, and anything your son would be doing by himself would be perfectly acceptable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

You might simply avoid Synaptic and stick with the simpler Add/Remove applet at the bottom of the Applications menu.

(Opens synaptic to search for brainf***).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

"Daddy, what's Brainf**k?" he said.

Answer: It's a programming language.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Embed Brainf**k in your perl code.
    Last edited by Crafty Kisses; November 23rd, 2008 at 08:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That's an interesting story. I read somewhere that the code in the Linux kernel has got a smattering of uncouth language in it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Sealbhach View Post
    That's an interesting story. I read somewhere that the code in the Linux kernel has got a smattering of uncouth language in it.

http://durak.org/sean/pubs/kfc/

http://www.vidarholen.net/contents/wordcount/

Beans

If the objective of Ubuntu and other Linux distributions is to provide an operating system which people can use to replace Microsoft software, then it will need to tidy up the use of profanities in the code and application names. Families with children will see these things, decide it's not for them, pay the devil and go to Microsoft instead.

I'll happily f and blind with the best of them, but don't expect profanities to appear on-screen when installing operating system software.

I wanted my son to become enthused by Linux and to learn about it himself. I install filters for web browsing for him - but I didn't think I'd need one for an operating system and its components.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Yeah, Brainf**k is a programming language, so I don't really think the Ubuntu guys can be faulted for that one, any more than, say, a newspaper can be faulted for printing it in a direct quote. While the Linux source code is riddled with profanity (hey, so is my own code), you won't find much that's inappropriate in the documentation.

That leads me to a question: How difficult would it be to program a plugin that ***s out all the swears on text that appears on a machine? I can see doing them easily for individual programs (Firefox has a great greasemonkey profanity filter here), I wonder if it would be possible to apply one universally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

TBH it's not the Repository maintainer's fault.
    Blame the person who named Brainf**k, Brainf**k.
    P.S. Brainf**k is a programming language.

EDIT: vergeh made a nice analogy that pretty much expains everything:
    so I don't really think the Ubuntu guys can be faulted for that one, any more than, say, a newspaper can be faulted for printing it in a direct quote.
    Last edited by OutOfReach; November 23rd, 2008 at 08:58 PM.

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast