Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Left 4 Dead, windows or linux? HELP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Left 4 Dead, windows or linux? HELP

Wine 1.1.16 should offer a massive speed boost to all Source games, that is if I understand one of the latest patches submitted to Wine related to the sRGB texture bug correctly.

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine...ry/069448.html

Beans
    Hidden!

I installed L4D on my Pangolin Laptop and it plays fairly well, I get 25 FPS which drops to 18 FPS during large mobs of zombies. I was testing it out and didn't really notice any problems graphically (I couldn't tell difference between it and a Windows one running). I ran into some sound issues is about it, but that's a problem with Pulseaudio and steam. That was with Wine 1.1.15
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Re: Left 4 Dead, windows or linux? HELP

Hi,

Is it possible to play L4D in Linux on LAN? Me and my friends wanna try it out but can't seem to figure things out on how to connect with one another.

We are all running Kubuntu 8.10 with a capable hardwares specs to play at 29 fps at 1024x768 resolution.

Thanks for the help in advance.
    Last edited by xycris; February 24th, 2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Placed info about computers being used to play

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by xycris View Post
    Hi,

Is it possible to play L4D in Linux on LAN? Me and my friends wanna try it out but can't seem to figure things out on how to connect with one another.

We are all running Kubuntu 8.10 with a capable hardwares specs to play at 29 fps at 1024x768 resolution.

Thanks for the help in advance.
    Also played with my buddy over the internet, worked fine. Even had voice (although still glitchy sound), no fiddling was required..
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by eragon100 View Post
    According to the wine appdb, it basically runs fine (gold rating), however, it has extremely bad performance, making it unplayable on all but the fastest hardware (and I mean really, really fast.)

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=33902

I would recommend you run it under windows
    That's the ONLY reason I haven't purchased it yet. I would buy it if it ran well under WINE. Gold rating yes but if it lags then I don't bother.

I have a bunch of other Source games which run just fine and I do have beefy hardware running Ubuntu 8.04 and WINE 1.0.1. Other games including Oblivion, Morrowind, Starcraft, etc... In other words I have a lot of Windows games running great.

I always check the winehq.com appdb before making a purchase. In several cases I purchase 3 or 4 copies. One for each computer (mine, my wife's, my kids computers and so on).

Here's wishing for the native Left 4 dead to come out soon. I've love to get it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Dark9204 View Post
    In my opinion, everything below 30FPS are unacceptable.
    And to play a game at 10FPS, how can you even consider that gaming?

Anyway, to improve performance in most games you should run it with the -dxlevel 81 and WINEDEBUG="-all"
    Example: WINEDEBUG="-all" wine C:/Program\ Files/Steam/Steam.exe -applaunch 240 -dxlevel 81

The WINEDEBUG="-all" tag means that wine wont debug your program and report errors into the terminal.

However, since people says that it "Runs extremely slow, even with all details on low. Huge mouse lag", you shouldn't bother to try to play this in wine.
    Over 30FPS? Geez, most of the FPS games I run only get like 9 FPS and I can play just fine

Beans
    Hidden!

Why are you still running 1.0.1 instead of upgrading to 1.1.15 of wine?

On the 30fps thing, most WoW players are used to less than 30, in some places, you are lucky to get 10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

1.0.1 is the version included in the standard ubuntu repositories, if he hasn't added the dedicated wine repo, he's to go with 1.0.1 .

Well that slowness issue is merely from two pages before, things have changed since then... but of course, YMMV
    Restons Infidèles, Absurde Adversité

Beans

Googling will tell you how to install the steam server to run natively in Linux... Then there's no need for WINE (which I've never used...) After installing Counter Strike: Source from the Steam servers it runs fine as if it was native in Linux.

Hope that helps.

Beans

Sorry I know this Thread must be dead but what the hey. I have ubuntu 9.04 and have the must up to date wine and when trying to run L4D it tells me that I do not have pixel compression on or something like that every time it does say that it locks the computer up and I have to restart it. When I had XP it ran ok not great but ok I have a Acer aspire 4730z its a good little computer but not really made to play games but she manages though. So can any one help me if there is hope I may have to get another computer to play this game. I really do not want to go to windows and I don't have the money to buy a Apple and I really don't want on ether. So please help someone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123