Page 79 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast

Thread: nVidia latest Drivers - How to install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: nVidia 180.06 Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Arup View Post
    A few tips to this thread from my personal experience if I may, since my early SuSE days, I have always installed nvidia or ati drivers from their site. I feel its best to keep current when it comes to video drivers as new features and older bugs are cleared up but sometimes newer bugs get introduced as well but then thats a risk to take with any software or OS.

The script method of installing works out the best however with one caveat which I have discovered after hours or installing, formatting and re-installing Jaunty and Hardy. The included Googleearth package from medibuntu works fine only with drivers from repos. If you do a clean install of Ubuntu and then install nvidia drivers, everything works fine except for google earth. No matter what I tried, it would segfault in Hardy x64 and Jaunty x64 with nvidia drivers installed and open gl enabled. The only workaround to this is to install the nvidia drivers via hardware drivers first, reboot and install google earth, execute it and let it run. Then uninstall the nvidia drivers via the hardware drivers applet, do a sudo apt-get autoremove to remove the unwanted packages left behind, then its very important to do a sudo apt-get install build-essentials as the nvidia installed would need that to compile the driver against your kernel. After that reboot and enjoy the nvidia driver of your choice with Ubuntu, googleearth works fine as well.
    I've been always using google earth installed from medibuntu, and haven't had an issue at all after installing nVidia drivers manually

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: nVidia 180.06 Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kosimo View Post
    I've been always using google earth installed from medibuntu, and haven't had an issue at all after installing nVidia drivers manually
    Neither do I but only after I install drivers from repository first and then remove then and install the nvidia drivers via .sh

Beans

Re: nVidia latest Drivers - How to install - (180.xx - 185.xx)

Quote Originally Posted by sherl0k View Post
    Gnome likes to restart when I switch between Compiz and Metacity using the fusion-icon. This never happened before I upgraded. Anyone else get this?
    Yes i had this problem with the .08 (newest) beta driver. I couldnt play games as well, then gnome restarted. So i switched back to the .04 driver.

Beans
    Hidden!

i have a overscan problem on my hdtv using the jaunty nvidia driver. you think if i installed one of the latest drivers right from nvidia it will solve my overscan?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by northwestuntu View Post
    i have a overscan problem on my hdtv using the jaunty nvidia driver. you think if i installed one of the latest drivers right from nvidia it will solve my overscan?
    Not guaranteed, but you can give it a try with newer versions. Just make sure you uninstall the previous version before compiling.

Beans
    Distro

Net BETA 185.18.10 Has just been released!

* Moved kernel module loading earlier in the X driver's initialization, to facilitate more graceful fallbacks if the kernel module cannot be loaded. Removed the LoadKernelModule X configuration option.
    * Add support for new horizontal interlaced and checkerboard passive stereo modes.
    * Fixed occasional X server crashes when running an OpenGL-based composite manager.
    * Fixed crashes in Bibble 5.

Links at the first page, like always

Beans

I installed the beta drivers 185.18.10 with 180.11 because I had bugs in Blender. My 3d view turns black when I point my mouse in the window buttons or on the header window when AA is enabled.

I am not alone in this case and it did not change my problem.

Who could help me solve this problem ?

Beans
    Hidden!

The latest beta 185.18.10 works quite well on my system with occasional xorg CPU spikes. The full screen movie playback has drastically improved over 180.51 stable. Earlier I would have to turn compiz off to watch a movie in full screen, now its no longer necessary. This is with a cheap nvidia 8400GS card with 512mb of memory.

Beans

I just built a new PC.
    Asus P5Q mobo
    Core2Quad Q9400 2.66Ghz Processor
    4Gb Corsair memory
    Nvidia Gforce 9800GTX+ 512Mb Ram PCI-e
    WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI card

I have been using Windows 7 64bit, with my 50" Sony HDTV as the monitor, connected via DVI to HDMI at 1900x1080. The Windwos 7 Nvidia Control Panel lets me shrink the Overscan so that the Desktop fits nicely inside the frame of the HDTV screen

I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 64bit in a Dual Boot. I installed the Nvidia 180 drivers using the Hardware Drivers choice and the Admin Menu. I installed Nvidia Settings. There does not seem be anything in the Control Panel to shrink the Ubuntu Desktop to fit the HDTV frame.

Any ideas on how to do this? The Overscan places the Menus off the top of the display

Beans
    Hidden!

yeah i have the same problem. i've read a lot of options to solve overscan but nothing seems to work. in the windows nvidia software there is tools for the overscan problem, not in linux though.

Page 79 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast