Page 51 of 145 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: nVidia latest Drivers - How to install

Beans

Re: nVidia 180.xx Rocks!

Everything is working for me with 177, and I have a wonky dual monitor setup. It's not broken, so I'm not dicking with it....yet.

Beans

Exellent thread! My Geforce 8200M was 3D wise already pretty snappy with the 173 drivers, but firefox just felt.. cumbersome and slow. With the 180 drivers all is peachy! Hi-res youtube provides no more problems and I have yet to encounter any kind of screen corruption. Wine games are now as they should be, racing along!

Kudos to Nvidia for coming through for the OS community.
    Computing is not about computers any more. It is about living.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I notice some random noise / horizontal artifacts when using mplayer-vdpau, especially in scenes with fast movement or a moving camera. Strange thing is that when I make a print screen when I see it, I don't seem to capture it (could be a coincident). Strange... I hope it will be fixed soon.

Then another point: does anyone know if there's a way to automate opening files with mplayer-vdpau? Maybe trough some configuration in the mplayer config file that detects the format and selects the right vdpau codec or something?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stefangr1 View Post
    I notice some random noise / horizontal artifacts when using mplayer-vdpau, especially in scenes with fast movement or a moving camera. Strange thing is that when I make a print screen when I see it, I don't seem to capture it (could be a coincident). Strange... I hope it will be fixed soon.

Then another point: does anyone know if there's a way to automate opening files with mplayer-vdpau? Maybe trough some configuration in the mplayer config file that detects the format and selects the right vdpau codec or something?
    Apparently the horizontal lines are no longer present after executing:

sudo nvidia-xconfig --no-composite

and restarting X.

Still interested though in ways to automize the use of vdpau in mplayer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Still interested though in ways to automize the use of vdpau in mplayer.
    What is vdpau ?

Beans
    Distro

vdpau is a patch for mplayer, made by nvidia. You can use it to decode movies on a nvidia GPU of the 7 and 8 series, if you have the 180.xx driver installed.

This gives a HUGE performance advantage: a 1080p h264 encoded movie that couldn't play on my E6750 with the cpu at 100% now plays perfectly at only 2%. It appears that with the newest drivers (180.29) and newest version of vdpau almost all issues are solved, and >90% of the movies I have play with it.

Only trouble is that if I configure the use of vdpau in my mplayer config, mplayer will just crash with the other 10% of the movies, whereas if I don't configure it there, about 2 lines of configuration in a terminal are needed just to start a movie which isn't to convenient for a media center. So thats why I'm hoping someone knows a way to make this right.
    Last edited by stefangr1; February 21st, 2009 at 04:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Oh man the 180.29 drivers work awesome with intrepid 64 bit with my NVIDIA GeForce 7100.

Much better that the 177 drivers

Savage 2 was REALLY laggy with the 177 ones and now it runs flawlessly. And there's also no more static under my window boarders in compiz.
    Desktop | Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz | 320GB + 640GB HDD | 4GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Dell Mini 9 | Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz | 16GB SSD + 16GB SD Card | 2GB RAM | 1.3MP Cam + Bluetooth | Intel GMA 950

Beans

You guys make me wish i had a video card. I'm running on-board with the 180.29 so i don't see the HUGE performance gains. My graphics ARE very crisp though and i get great 2D performance....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BGFG View Post
    I'm running on-board with the 180.29 so i don't see the HUGE performance gains.
    The evils of shared slow ram...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

vdpau is a patch for mplayer, made by nvidia. You can use it to decode movies on a nvidia GPU of the 7 and 8 series, if you have the 180.xx driver installed.

This gives a HUGE performance advantage: a 1080p h264 encoded movie that couldn't play on my E6750 with the cpu at 100% now plays perfectly at only 2%. It appears that with the newest drivers (180.29) and newest version of vdpau almost all issues are solved, and >90% of the movies I have play with it.

Only trouble is that if I configure the use of vdpau in my mplayer config, mplayer will just crash with the other 10% of the movies, whereas if I don't configure it there, about 2 lines of configuration in a terminal are needed just to start a movie which isn't to convenient for a media center. So thats why I'm hoping someone knows a way to make this right.
    its not a patch for mplayer, its just a interface to allow ANY program to use the videocard to decode video. Its just that mplayer is one of the first programs to use it. Soon there will be a bunch of players that support it (on windows and linux)
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Page 51 of 145 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast