Thread: What Advantage is there?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

What Advantage is there?

Hi, Just wondering, what advantages does dual booting Mac OS X and Ubuntu have over just installing Ubuntu on a Mac with, say, Virtualbox? ( besides the obvious being less use of RAM )

Just wondering, as I have been dual-booting in the past, and this question came up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What Advantage is there?

3d acceleration works in a native installation while it does not in a VM. You also have direct access to the real hardware when you install natively, though that could be good or bad depending on what you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

3D acceleration is something a person can live without on Linux. I can see that as a problem with windows, since one needs that for the best programs. Is there anything else? ( Out of curiosity )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

I think that if Linux was my primary OS and I only had occasional need for the Mac OS, I would go for dual boot rather than virtual Linux running on the Mac side. There is the reason you gave (saving RAM for what you need it for), plus virtualization is going to give you some speed hit. But if my need for the Mac OS is regular, virtualization has a real advantage of giving access to both at the same time. If you do your virtualization on VMware Fusion, you have an extra advantage - drag and drop movement of files between OSes. That's a real time saving.

If Linux is your primary OS, I would think the way to go would be running the Mac OS on a virtual machine, but I don't think you can do that on an Intel Mac. On a PPC Mac, you do have that option, with the Mac-on-Linux program (runs on Debian, though not Ubuntu newer than 7.04).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

For me a guy that takes great pride in messing up my system beyond my ability to repair a dual boot is for coming on the forums to ask for help. Also to get work done while I am trying to fix things. On Ubuntu I do seem to be able to drag and drop anything on my other system. I just can't run the apps.