Thread: [SOLVED] Just installed Ubuntu - No floppy or front USB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[SOLVED] Just installed Ubuntu - No floppy or front USB

Hi. I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit on a new computer. I accidentally did not have my front USB ports plugged into the motherboard when I installed. After plugging them in, they are still are not usable in Ubuntu. However, my BIOS recognizes an external hard drive when it is plugged into one of the ports. How can I enable these ports in Ubuntu?

Also, Ubuntu is not mounting my floppy drive. You may be wondering why I have a floppy drive, and so am I. Although I don't need this drive, it would be interesting to know why it is not recognized in Ubuntu, and how I can enable it.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Just installed Ubuntu - No floppy or front USB

Also, Ubuntu is not mounting my floppy drive. You may be wondering why I have a floppy drive, and so am I. Although I don't need this drive, it would be interesting to know why it is not recognized in Ubuntu, and how I can enable it.
    Try Applications > Accessories > Terminal and input this command
    Code:
    sudo modprobe floppy
    .This will load the driver for the floppy.
    If that works,then to make sure the driver is loaded at every boot you have to edit a file with the command
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modules
    and add the word floppy on a separate line.

Hi. I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit on a new computer. I accidentally did not have my front USB ports plugged into the motherboard when I installed. After plugging them in, they are still are not usable in Ubuntu. However, my BIOS recognizes an external hard drive when it is plugged into one of the ports. How can I enable these ports in Ubuntu?
    I am very surprised the USB ports don't work.From a terminal
    Code:
    lsusb
    and see what is there.Then plug something into the front ports and run the same command.See if the output changes.

Welcome to Ubuntu

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks. The modprobe program worked. I'll add that to /etc/modules. I actually already tried lsusb, which I should have mentioned in my initial post. No success. Any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The front USB ports were not plugged inproperly, I had the pins shifted by accident. I'm not sure how it recognized the hard drive though (maybe it didn't and I am just imagining...)