Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to bsd ,need advise which variant to choose

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

new to bsd ,need advise which variant to choose

hi.
    i have tried a pair of bsd variants in the past but not for so long. i have more than one old computer which i use to betatest distributions on so i uninstall and install often. i however would like to have a permanent bsd install on one of them. i have tried pc-bsd 7.0 but i did not find that very easy to relate to. i have had desktop bsd installed a couple of times (version 1.6) which i like. i have tried freebsd once but it was not easy to install so i almost regret i deleted that in favor for a linux beta distro. i have a openbsd boxset i must admit i simply cant figure out how to install.
    what i would like to ask from given experience level what distribution of bsd would you recommend. i use computers for simple things as a casual user. and i also learn unix programming from books as a hobby so this is my primary use for it.
    thanks for reading this and thanks in advance.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans

Re: new to bsd ,need advise which variant to choose

I have a few suggestions:

DesktopBSD: It's just FreeBSD with a GUI, which provides the same power of a FreeBSD system without *whimpers* sysinstall. The best system to start out with.

NetBSD: My personal favorite. Extremely minimal, leaving all configuration and customization up to the user. Superb installer that leaves things alone for you to tweak. Very clean base system with well-audited code.

Regular FreeBSD is okay, but I hate the installer and would recommend DesktopBSD instead (you can download a snapshot image with FreeBSD 7). I like OpenBSD's emphasis on binary packages over source-based software installation, but the system never worked well for me. DragonFlyBSD is an extremely interesting system that is rapidly maturing. They recently released a live DVD that is definitely worth a shot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks. i have as said openbsd boxset i cant figure out to install. i have also the desktop bsd cd still so i am going to start with that. i have been reading about dragonfly bsd and orded a cd from a internet shop that deals with nice burned cd so i am maybe going to try that very soon. i did not know that the difference between installers was so great when i first got the boxset. but maybe i can get used to desktop bsd first. it is the 1.6 release of desktop bsd that is the latest right.
    anyway thanks alot.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans

what do u mean when u say you cant figure out how to install it? did you look at the openbsd website for instructions?

Beans

OpenBSD has got to be the fastest installation of OS out there. Hit enter a bunch of times, with the exception of changing a few of the default answers from NO to YES (Of course I want to continue the install, I put the damn disc in didn't I?)

Then you hit "a" a few times in combination with some other early letters in the alphabet. Then a "q." And finally some more enters. I think there might be one more NO you have to change to a YES here as well.

Bam.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i read the install intructions and tried to do this right but still no luck.the trouble is to get the partion done. maybe i am too used to debian installers to see the logic. of course when i have the box set i paid for it then i will want it installed some day. i am just not so great at bsd installs yet.i know how to install debian minix and freedos but this open bsd i have trouble with for some reason. i had free bsd installed which is a bit harder than debian in my experience or lack of.it is the label editor and the part about the partion i cant seem to figure out how to do. it blacks out on me when i go trough this part.

thanks for the replies. i will post when i have found the bsd of choice. i like these systems once they are installed and running.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I personally suggest FreeBSD, however, I do like OpenBSD, and if you have the set try it one more time. This is the best guide I've found on OpenBSD installation.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chachawpi View Post
    OpenBSD has got to be the fastest installation of OS out there. Hit enter a bunch of times, with the exception of changing a few of the default answers from NO to YES (Of course I want to continue the install, I put the damn disc in didn't I?)

Then you hit "a" a few times in combination with some other early letters in the alphabet. Then a "q." And finally some more enters. I think there might be one more NO you have to change to a YES here as well.

Bam.
    is it really that simple? (i'm guessing openbsd has some "if you don't feel like standing on your head" autoconfig options, yes?)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    is it really that simple? (i'm guessing openbsd has some "if you don't feel like standing on your head" autoconfig options, yes?)
    Pretty much, yes. The few times I've tested OpenBSD I've had it setup in about 15 minutes from boot to hard disk login.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

One slight problem with FreeBSD, if you like flash, then you will need to run Firefox through wine. Flash doesn't work, in FreeBSD yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast