Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Physical access is root access

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Physical access is root access

I definitly see your point about not recomending full disk encryption on a "I forgot my password thread"!!!!

Ah I didn't catch that in the original post my bad; and yes I know about being able to retrieve the key from ram. While I agree the encryption isn't 100%, it's certainly the method that is most difficult to bypass, and requires situational circumstance to happen (the computer being on with the disks unlocked and the key stored in ram in this case)

I actually (forgot which brand) know there's a laptop that has a unique password placed on bios out of the factory, and so you can't simply reset bios as it'll have this unique password on it still. In that case I consider it's bios level security very good.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Physical access is root access

Run everything through LTSP (thin clients) and make sure the actual server is physically locked in a room.

That way they can take the whole darn client and it isn't going to get them any of my information unless they can get to the server.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

physical access is root access

I'm not sure what other releases has this same feature but it's kinda sketchy

1) walk up to pc and restart or turn on

2) press escape button at start up

3) choose recovery mode

4) a menu pops up with boot to root terminal as a option and with networking to.

No password at all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Jaunty roots quite easy

Ubuntu doesn't have a root password by default. If you set one yourself, then that trick doesn't work.

Beans

it could ask for a user password?
    who is a sudoer
    my friend and I always change each others settings (fonts,wallpaper,homepage,themes) when there not looking, this makes it so easy.
    they can't touch my debian install heehee
    o I'm planing evil now.(unicorns rainbows,window managers, pink theme.)hee hee

Beans

Im making a theme bomb on usb stick now

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sintacto View Post
    I'm not sure what other releases has this same feature but it's kinda sketchy
    Physical access to the hardware is a security risk no matter what you do. Of course it is possible to protect against only the most casual intruder by setting a root password, but all they have to do is pop in a CD-ROM to gain full access no matter what you do with the software, including password protecting GRUB. One COULD password protect the BIOS and disable booting from a CD/DVD, USB, etc., but if one has access to the machine, it is a simple matter to for the determined intruder to reset the BIOS.

In other words, once an individual has their hands on your hardware, it is generally GAME OVER.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That's why you encrypt sensitive data.
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans

I was only suggesting a prank

"In other words, once an individual has their hands on your hardware, it is generally GAME OVER."

I agree. but more thieves than hackers around here. (not my friends) I think they would install window$ and sell for drug money.

but would it be hard for ubuntu to ad a user password there and not an extra one for root?
    Is there a possability for some one to boot a computer from a network (boot from lan) with another os or os on hard drive remotely? I mean the computer is off and connected to Ethernet to internet?

get to root that way, remotely? (probably not but just asking )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sintacto View Post
    4) a menu pops up with boot to root terminal as a option and with networking to.

No password at all
    This has been possible in Ubuntu since quite a few releases.
    If you're worried that others might "benefit" from this, set a root password.
    See :
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast