Thread: [SOLVED] Dell Laptop Battery not recognized on startup...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

[SOLVED] Dell Laptop Battery not recognized on startup...

Hi,

I'm new to Ubuntu, and for the past five years I've worked almost solely with Windows, so I'm relearning things as I go.

Basically, my issue is I formatted my laptop and installed Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy) in an attempt to "expand my horizons."

I am working with a Dell Inspiron 1501 and everything works great so far, except I just noticed a set up warning when I rebooted my machine for the first time since updating everything. It said it doesn't recognize the battery and it won't be able to recharge it.

It's a DELLXU8827 battery, lithium ion by Panasonic (the cheapest one they had) so I don't expect it to work as well now that it is more than a year old and has been used rather consistently due to my job requirements.

The battery info screen says it has a capacity of 36% but a charge of 100%, and if I am reading this correctly, this means that the battery is basically dying (1/3 as productive as it used to be), but that it is being charged by the system.

Am I correct in this?

Is there a way to resolve the startup message/issue? I'm not so lazy I can't just press another button, but ideally it would boot right up into Ubuntu.

Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dell Laptop Battery not recognized on startup...

These notifications can be enabled/disabled in gconf. Press Alt+F2 and enter gconf-editor
    Navigate to apps > gnome-power-manager > notify and check/uncheck what you wish.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thanks for the information.

Except, what do we do is our F2 key is broken? Does alt-F2 just bring up the console?

Beans
    Distro

No it brings an app-launcher, but you can also launch apps the same way using the console.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: [SOLVED] Dell Laptop Battery not recognized on startup...

I fixed this by taking out the battery and putting it back in, can't take credit for this ingenious fix, I Googled it and found it after searching unfruitfully in the Ubuntu Forums. I didn't even turn off my Laptop, just took the battery out and put it back in, worked 1st time, you may want to be more cautious that that I just stupidly yanked it out while the computer was still running, no probs yet! The post I found the guy said he had to do it 2x. Hope this helps.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Dell Laptop Battery not recognized on startup...

do you have the latest version of Dell's Quickset program. This program just recognized my laptop battery is getting near the end of it's life cycle.

I think it might be this program that is not recognizing your battery.

Go here and download and install any programs and drivers you need.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx

Since the computer is fairly new, then make it a warranty issue.
    you can buy a new dell inspiron 1501 battery from www.diggingshop.com

Beans

What if I don't have the service info they ask for at the dell link? Any tips on getting that info? My friend gave me my laptop so all I have is the machine, no paperwork.

-April

Beans

hi..
    im new with ubuntu (linux programming),
    currently im working with ubuntu 11.10,
    i have "dell inspiron 1545".
    and i recently changed its battery 2 time , but it doesn't recognize my battery,
    whn ever i plugged in but it show (battery not present)

please help me im completely lost......

Beans
    Distro

Hi aaysha, welcome to the free world.

I really can't help you with your specific problem. You posted it in a rather old thread, that was also marked as "Solved". This means that not many of us will go and lokk at such a thread, because the problem of the original poster is already solved.

In these cases, it's best to start your own new thread which is likely to get more attention
    I'm thinking about it

Beans

What he said ^^

Old thread closed.