Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ubuntu Experiment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post The Ubuntu Experiment.

As the title says, I am conducting and experiment at my church, where I installed ubuntu on a windows machine using wubi and they interns that work there agreed to give it a try for at least a week and only switch back to windows if they can't figure out ubuntu. My goal is to see truly how ready ubuntu is for the "average" user the primary persons that will be utilizing the computer I install ubuntu on are all college students, mostly female but a couple of guys too, and they have never used, or seen, linux before (most of them) I started the experiment yesterday and after one day the responses range from "wow linux looks a lot better that it did 10 yrs. ago." to "hey this isn't that hard." one of the girls is even addicted to a linux game called frozen bubble. So as this experiment continues I will check in on them regularly and offer any help they need to get used to how ubuntu does things differently than windows. Wish me luck.

Beans

Re: The Ubuntu Experiment.

i think its ready if the world knows how to google their problems...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Ahh men

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by jimi_hendrix View Post
    i think its ready if the world knows how to google their problems...
    Haha
    I will either find a way, or make one.

Beans

Good man! Do keep us updated as to how the subjects do. This could eventually make a nice feature article, depending on how it goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

It should work.
    My 6 year old sister can use Ubuntu perfectly fine.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yeah you should record their reactions on hidden camera like Windows Vista. Only the difference here is they will be saying "WOOOOW!" because of Compiz and not because it kept crashing or it wouldnt let you edit a simple text file.
    I will either find a way, or make one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Great initiative, good luck! Keep up posted!

Beans

anyone can use Ubuntu if they know what to do or what to google, a simple walk through of how things run under Ubuntu would go a long way

"Give a man a fish you feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish you feed him for a life time."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Just yesterday (Thursday 20th) my father in law was whinging how slow his windows machne was running and how he really didn't want to have to go through the re-install... Everything option AGAIN so I said to him "Why don't you give Ubuntu a thrash ? I can install it so it wont affect windows and if you don't like it you can uninstall it and windows will be as before".

He said ok.

His first comment was .. "Wow.. It really boots up fast". He was then asking how to install his fave proggies etc so I showed him how to install stuff and how to google and problems. I suspect he'll ask me to cure those though.

I'll let you all know how he gets on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast