Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] So what with Canonical support?

Beans

[SOLVED] So what with Canonical support?

Hi,

Anybody know what gives with Canonical? I have sent them two emails asking for some idea of what sort of support they provide for their $250 annual desktop support package. So far no response....doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies about spending 250 bucks for support if they can't even acknowledge an email.

The fact of the matter is I have had an extremely difficult and frustrating experience trying to get either Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.10 installed and running. I had 8.10 up and working until I ran update manager...now it doesn't even come close to booting up....went back and thought I would try 8.04 (being the long term support version I thought it would be more stable) but no luck....won't boot either....anyway I am at the point of wanting to pay someone to help me get it going....

Is Canonical only interested in large corporate customers? If so, they should take the individual user support option off their website....

Anybody ever talk to anybody at Canonical?????

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: So what with Canonical support?

Email is a unreliable means of communication; Indeed, so much as to be similar to snail-mail. Alot of things happen when you send an email to a person. It could be inevitably lost, delayed or never sent from the SMTP server. I wouldn't necessarily blame Canonical.

Of course, if they did receive the emails, then I would blame them.

Just my 2 cents
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans

Well there isn't much choice here, there are no phone numbers on their website.....

Anybody know how to get hold of someone from Canonical????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by newuserincalgary View Post
    Well there isn't much choice here, there are no phone numbers on their website.....

Anybody know how to get hold of someone from Canonical????
    not sure if you'll get a quick response, or any, but you could try here:

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/contact-details
    Last edited by smoker; November 21st, 2008 at 01:46 AM. Reason: new link added
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    Email is a unreliable means of communication; Indeed, so much as to be similar to snail-mail. Alot of things happen when you send an email to a person. It could be inevitably lost, delayed or never sent from the SMTP server. I wouldn't necessarily blame Canonical.
    Oh common the odds of that are very low .. I can't remember the last time I sent an email and it just got lost (I mean without a bounce error message) ..

It is reasonable to assume that Canonical received the email.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kernelhaxor View Post
    Oh common the odds of that are very low .. I can't remember the last time I sent an email and it just got lost (I mean without a bounce error message) ..

It is reasonable to assume that Canonical received the email.
    If the SMTP server is having problems, it could have never been delivered and you will never get a bounce error. I have actually had that happen quite frequently with my webhosting provider's SMTP server.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    If the SMTP server is having problems, it could have never been delivered and you will never get a bounce error. I have actually had that happen quite frequently with my webhosting provider's SMTP server.
    Frequently? Time to get a new provider

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ciscosurfer View Post
    Frequently? Time to get a new provider
    Nah. I solved the problem myself, but setting up the Outgoing mail to go through my SMTP server on the network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Let's take this "new users' " complaint seriously, and it definitely relates to BUG #! in Launchpad.
    Bug #1
    Paid or paying for, support is a logical choice for many people, not just the home user or student.
    First: to the NewuserinCalagary, is there a Linux user group near you ?
    Second, look at the Forums
    Finally, try version 8.10, and run is an "OEM" install. UNLESS you're trying to dual-boot .
    In fact 8.10 is easier to install or repair than any Windows (MS) version that I've had to deal with. (Too many)
    If you're still having problems send me an IM through here.
    Allengg
    Pay now, or pay later, there's no free lunch.

Beans

Thanks AllanGG....

Don't know if the is a Linux User's group anywhere near here....seems likely that there would be...I will see what I can find....

Regarding the FORUMS....I have spent more time than I can afford the last few days searching through the forums to see what can be done or if anyone else has been having similar issues....the closest thing that I can find to a solution is the possibility the initrd pkg cannot access the ext3 boot partition properly...i am going to try a fresh install after changing my boot partition to ext2 and wiping it clean...others have said that ext3 is fine....at this piont it is worth a shot....it would seem wierd that the boot partition would have to be ext2 as ext3 seems to be a more robust format with the journaling feature...????

Oops....i am installing 8.10, it was working for a while until I ran update manager....8.04 won't run at all

and I am doing a dual boot....unfortunately, i have a few windows apps that i need to use for work....hopefully after I get Ubuntu up and running, i can run the XP apps in VMware window or something like that...
    Last edited by newuserincalgary; November 21st, 2008 at 02:57 AM. Reason: more info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast