Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Printers??? which ones are compatible???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Printers??? which ones are compatible???

HPs are known to work very well in Linux, I'd even say that it's better than in Windows because in Linux there is not bloatware in the drivers.

Mine worked out of the box, I plugged in the printer and it was working, I restarted and the scanner was also good to go.
    Ubuntu User #27453 | Linux User #490358
    "Don't preach Linux, mention it"
    "Linux is not Windows"
    73% of statistics in forums are made up on the spot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by curts View Post
    Check out this link:
    http://forums.linux-foundation.org/read.php?25,6117

I was able to print to my network attached Canon PIXMA MX850 following the advice on this page. In summary:
    - download cups-bjnp-0.5.4.tar.gz,
    - using the Synaptic package manager install libcups2-dev and its dependencies,
    - build and install cups-bjnp-0.5.4 per the instructions in the README,
    - select "new" in the printing control panel and the printer shows up in the network printer list,
    - select the printer and then manually choose the ip5300 driver.

Hope this helps!

Curt
    I don't know why this was so hard for me. I've had a PIXMA MX850 for a long time now and have really liked this printer. However, I have never been able to get it to work with Ubuntu.

For the last year or two, I'll occasionally search the forums for MX850 looking for any clue that would help me get my printer up and running. Yesterday I somehow bumped into this post, and I don't know how. It's been out there almost two years now, but somehow I've never been able to find it, and when I did a search today for MX850 on my other Ubuntu box, it didn't show up in the search results...good thing I bookmarked it!

Anyway, this is just my long winded way of telling Curt, thanks, your simple instructions worked perfectly. I tried the link in your post but it seems broken. So, thanks again for thinking ahead and simplifying the steps right inside your post.

Now there is one fewer thing keeping me from ditching MSFT completely. I'm one happy Ubuntu Canon PIXMA MX 850 user!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

With a bit of tinkering I've been able to get every printer I've come across to work.

As others have stated, HP is a good option, as driver support is close to the top if not the top.

All the PCL6 printers at work:
    Toshiba ES282
    FUJI Xerox C4300
    SHARP MX3100N

Other work printers:
    Canon C2880/3380
    HP Laserjets - a few models.
    Brother DCP6690CW

At Home:
    HP Multifunction something-or-other PSC 2100?
    Brother HL2040

Only issues were with the FUJI, had to edit some source files to get it working on 64-bit Intepid Ibex (Ubuntu 8.10). No problems on 10.10+

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had my canon pixma iP1600 printer working well in Ubuntu 11.04 (I followed the answer wrote here to accomplish that).

Then I upgraded my Ubuntu to version 11.10 but the upgrade went wrong and I was forced to reinstall Ubuntu 11.10 from scratch. After that, I tried to install my printer just as I did before but I wasn't able to print with success anymore.

I reinstalled Ubuntu 11.10 a second time, this time without encrypting my home folder and I was able to print successfully. To take any thoughts I reinstalled Ubuntu 11.10 a third time and again I could not print anything.

So, can someone help me to put my printer working in Ubuntu 11.10 with my home folder encrypted?

Thanks in advance.
    Best Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pmalvr View Post

So, can someone help me to put my printer working in Ubuntu 11.10 ...
    Try a stable release ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Anyone have any idea how ip1700 will work on ubuntu 11.04 (64 bit) ? i have spent almost a day and half trying to fix what is missing...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by WinuxUser View Post
    Anyone have any idea how ip1700 will work on ubuntu 11.04 (64 bit) ? i have spent almost a day and half trying to fix what is missing...
    Might want to create a new thread on it because this one was originally from 2008 and a lot has changed since then.

I see you already made one here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1955970
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123