Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should i get an iPhone?

Beans

Should i get an iPhone?

my ipod just died and i need a new phone...is an iPhone worth it then? oppinons/experences welcome

i dont plan i having 10000000000 songs but i do have 4 movies on my ipod and ~120 songs right now...slowly expanding will this fit on an iPhone with all the apps?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Should i get an iPhone?

Many people here dislike apple, but since you have an ipod, you probably dont share that sentiment. I personally feel that it is tied in first with blackberries right now as far as smartphones go. I have not personally met anyone unsatisfied with their iphone. It really comes down to what you prefer in a phone:

Media/games/ease of use = iphone
    Data/productivity = blackberry

Not saying that both can't do all of the things above.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

the iphone is NOT a smart phone, it's a multimedia phone. There's a huge difference

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's down to choice really. Play with one in a local store, get to know them a bit

I love my iPhone, I'm really glad I bought it, but I understand why some people dislike them

It may also be worth looking into a G1 if you have a hatred of Apple

Beans

I have an iPhone. I would not recommend it anymore, mainly because while you used to be able to sync music wirelessly with Ubuntu over SSH, it is now impossible with the new 2.X firmwares because now iTunes does a checksum when syncing with the phone, and since we cannot figure that out yet, music can sync but not be played. It is too bad really. Other than that it is a good phone I suppose, if you have Windows dual-booting. (Does NOT work in vbox, I do not know why). However, make sure you are on the network the iPhone is available on. For example, in the US, only at&t can carry the iPhone, and buying an iPhone you MUST either already have at&t, or set up service, otherwise they can not sell it to you. (They have a contract with at&t, at&t subsidises some $400 a phone or something, so they want to make sure people are on at&t). Note you will be paying an extra $30 a month probably if you do not have 3G service. I have the old EDGE model, and I am trying to sell it for about $300-$350. It is amazing, the 3G's are going for $800 on ebay just because everybody knows it's the only way you can get one. Anyway, good phone, does not work in Ubuntu, and must have at&t (in US anyway...)
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Meh, iPhones are ok. I'd rather have an N95 myself (apparently the N96's are pants). A lot of people are raving about the HTC Touch and Blackberry Bold, though. Plus of course there's the G1 running Android, but reviews are mixed.

As for storage, mp3 is about a MB per minute. So for 120 songs you'll need less than 1GB, which is tiddly for a new phone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jimi_hendrix View Post
    ...is an iPhone worth it then? oppinons/experences welcome
    iThink you should get one

The touch-typing aspect takes a little getting used to (but is very quick once you get used to it).

Q: Who actually watches movies on their iPhone/iPod? Is there a serious audience for this stuff? [thinks to self] I suppose there is, otherwise Apple wouldn't have included the functionality.

Beans

Yes, I was thinking about getting an HTC Touch Pro (or Fuze as at&t calls it) and maybe installaing another OS on it... but I can't find anything at all about that! Anyone here an expert on that? I do NOT want Windows Mobile (it's against my religion ). Also I was considering a Neo Freerunner. You might want to look into that. I really like it because it is a completely open phone. I would like that, but right now it looks a little feature-less.
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by ciscosurfer View Post
    Is there a serious audience for this stuff? [thinks to self] I suppose there is, otherwise Apple wouldn't have included the functionality.
    No, no, no... You just don't get it, do you? APPLE decides what there is a market for; not you.
    Apple TELLS you what you want and then you go out and you buy it.

See? Simple.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    No, no, no... You just don't get it, do you? APPLE decides what there is a market for; not you.
    Apple TELLS you what you want and then you go out and you buy it.

See? Simple.
    Wow, that takes the load right off my shoulders!
    The moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast