Thread: vlc on Acer Aspire One

Beans

Question vlc on Acer Aspire One

Hello all,

I'm thinking of getting an Acer Aspire One.
    The main reason I'm getting it, is so that I can watch movies on the train.

I've seen threads relating to people having problems installing 8.10 on it. I may do this later on, but to be honest as long as vlc works on it, I don't particularly care if it runs Linpus Lite underneath.

Are the processor and graphics card good enough to play movies on it? Has anyone had any trouble running vlc on it? (I don't want to have to convert movies to the right format, etc. Just copy accross (those standard ~700MB files) and play).

I also don't want to spend £230 only to find out that movie playback is jerky/choppy on it.

cheers,
    g.
    Finish the project. We'll buy you a new family.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: vlc on Acer Aspire One

Hi, I just noticed that no-one had replied to your post...

I've just been mucking around trying to install things on the Acer Aspire One today and managed to get VLC installed under the basic version of Linpus Linux Lite that comes bundled with the machine.

VLC works fine for playing divX movies once you get it to work and the quality is fine (even playing from an external hard drive powered through the usb).

After enabling the XFCE right-click menu, all I had to do was:
    Code:
    sudo yum install fedora
    sudo yum install vlc
    and optionally:
    Code:
    sudo yum install mozilla-vlc
    Useful instructions (the VLC one didn't work fully, but there's lots of useful material there) are available here.

On a side note, the Acer Aspire One Linux version is available in Australia for AU$340 (after a cashback from Acer), so it might be worth checking on the net for a cheaper one.