View Poll Results: What type of storage is important to you?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't need a lot of space, but I wan't my system to boot and load applications FAST!

2 20.00%
  • Regular load times are OK, but I game or process a LOT of data and need very fast I/O

1 10.00%
  • I don't need fast storage, but I need MASS QUANTITIES of storage to hold all of my data.

4 40.00%
  • I need it all. Bigger, Faster and redundant! I cannot afford to be down!

3 30.00%

Thread: Storage Performance: Whats important to YOU?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Storage Performance: Whats important to YOU?

So I am currently in the process of pricing out components of a replacement primary system for myself. I've pretty much made up my mind on every component. It will be a Core i7 based system, the first Intel based system I've built for myself since my P133, and 4GB DDR3-1600 RAM. The lifecycle on this system has to be three years at a price point of $1,500. Don't ask me why, but stewardship like this is something I factor into building my computers, its helps justify getting something just a bit better than average.

Anyway, the one part of my system I havent made up my mind on is the storage configuration. My options are:

1x 300GB 10,000RPM SAS HDD

or

3x 300GB 7,200RPM SATA HDD's in RAID 0+1

For Single Disk, SAS is a no-brainer for the full duplex read/write head, and for the cost difference I wouldn't go single SATA if my board supports SAS.

For sequential read intensive stuff (e.g. gaming or database intensive), however, there is something to be said about multiple disk spindles and read heads.. If I had 2 SATA disks, sure my seek time wouldn't be much improved, but I would have 2 3Gbps connections, near doubling my sequential I/O. In other words, It can't find it as fast as the 10K drive, but I can process twice as much of it in the same amount of time.

I think, for now, I am leaning towards the single SAS 10K disk, but I am curious as to what other people would choose out of these configurations and why?

Please share your thoughts!

-T.
    Last edited by toupeiro; November 19th, 2008 at 12:07 PM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech