Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Forums Community Competition (with prize!)

Beans

Ubuntu Forums Community Competition (with prize!)

Hi all,

I happen to have an extra "Gift" copy of Half-life 2 lying dormant and unused in my Steam account (friends already have the game), so I thought I'd put together a competition for the community to participate in. Whoever wins will get this copy of Half-life 2 absolutely free, through email (I'll send it as a gift to the winner's email address).

Why am I doing this?

Because the Ubuntu Forums are fantastic, with users constantly showing selflessness by participating and helping around the Beginners talk and all the other support sections of the community. I thought this would be a pretty nice prize to give away.

Why reward people with a Windows game?

EDIT: Since Steam appears to be coming out on Linux, this question is irrelevant.

Because I'm confident that there are plenty of people who still have a dedicated gaming PC, or still dual-boot for various reasons. Of course, Half-life 2 will run through Wine, but slowly. So, the situation is this: I have an extra copy of Half-life 2, and organizing a fun competition in recognition of the quality of the forums is a lot more fun than giving it to a friend.

Even if you don't have Windows/don't want the game yourself, you could win this for a friend who does, and pass it on to them

The Competition

Already been won!
    Last edited by Mazza558; December 6th, 2008 at 07:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ubuntu Forums Community Competition (with prize!)

Cool, even though I don't really play Windows games, infact I don't play any computer game for any OS at all, but it's always nice to win something free. But I do recall having a steam account in my Counter Strike: Source days (which weren't days at all, more like hours)
    Plus I love comptetion.

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

I'd like a go too. It's been a while since i've used windows, and i've no idea by what you mean by 'having a copy on your steam account' available to win, but i've subscribed to this thread. There should be more competitions in these forums, even if it is just for fun.

EDIT - How about a photo comp. Where you provide photos, and we guess the locations/games/Os's or whatever.
    Last edited by benerivo; November 19th, 2008 at 12:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

im intrigued, im not interested in the prize but i still wanna play along

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

im intrigued, im not interested in the prize but i still wanna play along
    Hey! you posted my thoughts
    Ubuntu Release 12.04
    Kernel Linux 3.0.0-16-generic
    Pentium dual core 3.00GHz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Cool! I am in

I will play it trough wine if wine, it isn't slow anymore (it has a silver rating). it's only a tad slower than in windows, but very playable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by benerivo View Post
    I'd like a go too. It's been a while since i've used windows, and i've no idea by what you mean by 'having a copy on your steam account' available to win, but i've subscribed to this thread. There should be more competitions in these forums, even if it is just for fun.

EDIT - How about a photo comp. Where you provide photos, and we guess the locations/games/Os's or whatever.
    Well, steam is the program that manages all games made by Valve. Have a look on wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(content_delivery)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hes talking about how you have a unused copy in your steam account

how people have extra copies of HL2 and HL2:ep1 is because they bought half life 2, and then bought the orange box package which includes team fortress 2, portal, half life 2, half life 2 episode 2 and half life 2 episode 1.

So if you had HL2 and/or hl2:ep 1 and then you bought the orange box, valve was nice enough to let you be able to give the extra copy away as a gift. since you already have the game and the extra copy is of no use to you
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

not really interested in windows games, so probably won't participate in this, but the idea of the competition is great, so congrats for that, and for any more you (or others) come up with.

Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans

Just letting everyone know, the Competition will start in 5 minutes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast