Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever felt like punching Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Have you ever felt like punching Ubuntu?

Ok, we've all had our whole..."Man, I really hate windows, I want it to burn up in flame" kind of moments. But have we ever had any moments were at some point Ubuntu would start playing up and you would just feel like virtually punching it in the face? Guys, be honest here!

Me, I would have to say yes. 8.04 was playing up so much at one point I got so frustrated I formatted.

That's that, let's get some replies
    "If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... Oh wait! He does!"

My PC: Ubuntu 8.04, 1GB RAM, Intel Core 2 CPU 1.86GHz

Beans

Re: Have you ever felt like punching Ubuntu?

Yes! Most recent occasion was when I could not get X to use a 1280x1024 resolution. I could get something like 1024x896, which on my 5:4 monitor, looked awful. I spent a good 3 hours messing about with Xorg.conf, before I have up and got the Nvidia driver from the Nvidia site. Finally managed to get it working, but not before almost ordering a new graphic card on the Internet.
    Today we have 15 minutes of fame, tomorrow 15 minutes of anonymity.
    My Blog | Veza - Opensource TinyURL clone with sensible URLs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

It won't appear on my boot screen, only problem I've ever had with it.
    Even then, its still Window's fault...
    > Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T3200 2.0GHz | Running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
    > Currently learning the ins and outs of Ubuntu Server
    > The difference between Windows and a virus? Viruses rarely fail...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

No.

But I HAVE got angry at my lack of aptitude at times.

I WILL learn this fekker !!

Then when I've learnt it.... a few months down the road I've forgotten what I learnt.

But thats my age ... I'm 47 and..... what were we talking about again ?

Beans

Yes! Trying to get it to play nice with nvidia restricted drivers on my outdated monitor and graphics card... it just plain wouldn't detect the resolution, so it defaulted to 800x600 (this was a little while ago). It took ages to figure out how to get it to 1280x1024, all the while I felt like punching the damn machine.

Beans

Negative, but I've wiped it w/o backing up on multiple occasions. *wooo*
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

@Swagman -> hahahahaha , awesome ;-p

Yeah I've my little stories too (Grub, graphic cards, partial upgrades)...

That's probably why I love Ubuntu ;-p. It's like a girlfriend in a way ... erm...

anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes. While Ubuntu works absolutely flawlessly on my desktop, it has a few issues with my laptop, specifically with wireless networking. After upgrading to 8.10, the wireless kept cutting out every few minutes and it got so annoying my laptop almost ended up out the window! In the end I went for the less dramatic option of formatting and installing Debian. I was amazed to have actually got wireless and sound working in Debian (which weren't when it was first installed), but it still feels a little too hardcore for me, so I might give 8.10 another go. If it still misbehaves, a rollback to 8.04 is in order... I've also been considering Xubuntu or Kubuntu, or maybe sidux...

I feel really stupid when it takes me ages to make Debian work, especially when it is supposed to be easier than Slackware, Gentoo, etc.!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had been using Kubuntu 8.04 since the first day of its release and everything was going great, but as the release of Intrepid loomed around the corner, I started noticing a whole bunch of problems with Kubuntu. It started slowing down drastically, CD-Rs wouldn't burn, and a lot of times Firefox would randomly freeze or shut down.

The only reason I upgraded was to hopefully fix this slowdown, and it worked, but this time I'm using GNOME instead of KDE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

When I installed 8.04, all it would do is 640x480 or 800x600... I edited xorg and got it to work like that, and then installed new nvidia drivers with envy, and it set it down to 640x480, which is a REALLY FREAKING TINY screen resolution.

If Ubuntu were a person, I would have punched him in the pills until he slipped into a coma.

I had a problem trying to empty my Trash, where it would just sit there with the little progress bar, not doing anything but taking up 99% of my CPU. Do you know how SILLY it is to have to restart (logging out didn't help) your system because you tried to throw away the trash?

Now, using aMSN gived my pc seizures when I get a cam invite, and Pidgin just decides that it doesn't want to work sometimes and closes itself.

Same goes for OpenOffice, random closes that may NOT be all that random, as they always happen after it auto-saves. But it still leaves you more than a little pissy, when you are writing, and then *POOF* the window is closed and it's not listed in the Window List.

It is not nearly as bad as XP or Vista were (for me) but it does cause enough immediate anger that I am surprised I haven't swung my keyboard at the monitor like a Tomohawk.
    "Your router is like your gatekeeper, and you are a ****** lord if you don't know your castle gates are open." -zarquad

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast