Thread: Which Wireless Card Will Work Best For Me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Which Wireless Card Will Work Best For Me?

Hi. I am thinking about getting a wireless card for my desktop computer because I will be using it in the room directly above the wireless router. I don't want to run a long stretch of an ethernet cable up the stairs, so that is how I arrived at thinking about getting a wireless card. This is an older PC. If you look in my signature you should see the specs for it. It really is not that impressive. However, it works, and since it does, it should be getting some sort of use out of it.

I was recently at the website of a popular hardware vendor looking for wireless routers. I was struck by how many different kinds of adapters there are. There are PCI and USB adapters, and more than that even. I am just a little curious as to what would work better for my PC if it would just be in the room above the wireless router. I was thinking that there would be someone here that might know more on the subject than I so that I could receive a little bit of advice. If it helps, the router is a Belkin Wireless G Router. I know, it's cheap, but that's the point, right?

Thanks everybody in advance!
    acrousey: Ubuntu user since 2008.

Compaq Presario 5127SR, Pentium 3 Processor, 512MB RAM, 40GB + 750GB Hard Drive, Integrated Graphics Card, Original OS: Windows ME, Current OS: Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Which Wireless Card Will Work Best For Me?

Best, Gnusci

"Never make a calculation until you know the answer." -- Wheeler, Spacetime Physics, pg 60.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I did. And I still have no idea whether a USB adapter will work better than a PCI adapter. I would prefer to use a USB adapter because there will be less of a mess to play with in adding it onto the machine. However, will that USB adapter perform better than the PCI adapter? I really do not know. I was hoping that there would be some people in this forum who would have some feedback on which kind of wireless adapter would work better instead of referring me to a page which contains a list of supported adapters. i do not think that list tells me if the PCI adapter outperforms the USB adapter. However, nice try, but I wasn't asking which brands work. I was wondering about which kind would work better. Thanks anyways!
    acrousey: Ubuntu user since 2008.

Compaq Presario 5127SR, Pentium 3 Processor, 512MB RAM, 40GB + 750GB Hard Drive, Integrated Graphics Card, Original OS: Windows ME, Current OS: Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well I use one USB with the Ralink RT73:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ver/RalinkRT73

It works like a charm... The speed is good enough for everything I need.
    Best, Gnusci

"Never make a calculation until you know the answer." -- Wheeler, Spacetime Physics, pg 60.