Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: HOWTO: NVIDIA TV-OUT for Newbies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: NVIDIA TV-OUT for Newbies

would someone have to do all of this if they just wanted to use the TV as the only screen?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 5.10

Re: HOWTO: NVIDIA TV-OUT for Newbies

no, i didn't, this guide was written December 3rd, 2005 and in Feisty it is simpler.
    I use my nvidia with a TV as the only monitor and all i did to set up was install the nvidia drivers from their website (for some reason the proprietary drivers in the repositories don't work though), i just ran the binary, answered the questions, and then I was able to boot info KDE/Gnome (I always was able to have terminal access on the TV, that's how i downloaded/installed).

in any case, i think this thread has some very useful info in it still but since it is so old and long now, it's quite difficult to decipher what is old and what is new... It might be the case that this even "just works" with Feisty if proprietary drivers are enabled by default.
    My Blog.

Beans

Heaps of errors in the upgrade process.

Quote Originally Posted by jetpeach View Post
    no, i didn't, this guide was written December 3rd, 2005 and in Feisty it is simpler.
    I use my nvidia with a TV as the only monitor and all i did to set up was install the nvidia drivers from their website (for some reason the proprietary drivers in the repositories don't work though),
    Thanks for the tip. I have upgraded from a fully functional dapper to feisty, and it is not able to give me Xorg output on the TV-out. I also have to do everything from console, but I haven't tried downloading the drivers from the Nvidia website. Will try that any minute now.
    Seems that a lot changed with the drivers/setup that came with feisty. I installed the proprietary driver all over again (after the upgrade), but it complained about my configfile. This has changed:

In the Device section:
    Previously this worked:
    Code:
    Option ConnectedMonitor "TV-identifier"
    , where TV-identifier was the name of the Monitor section for the TV. Now it has a completely different meaning:
    Code:
    Option ConnectedMonitor "TV"
    , where TV is the *type* of the monitor. So if you have both a CRT and a tv attached you would write "CRT, TV".

The
    Code:
     Option "TvOutFormat" "S-VIDEO"
    part now has changed to "
    Code:
     Option "TvOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
    . I had to do these changes to make Xorg stop complaining, but after all the complaints have disappeared I now only get a "FATAL: Module nvida not found"...

A lot of other programs might also be corrupted by the upgrade. Starting the command line bittorrent client (
    Code:
    btdownloadcurses
    gives me heaps of GZip errors

Will never trust the upgrade program again...

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738