Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Platform Rad tools

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cross Platform Rad tools

Hi All,
    I'm hoping for some advise here.
    I've been working with Linux for about a year or so and really really like it.
    At work, I guess I would describe myself as a self supported super user. In other words I do a lot of programming but I'm not part of the IT staff.

I do alot of VB6 programming interacting with Oracle and Access databases. I am addicted to Ms data environment.

I need to start programming in something other than VB6 but I want into invest in learning cross-form tools. In other words I wish to avoid .Net if I can help it.
    My personal interests have been in learning C++ but I don't think I would really consider that a weapon of choice for RAD.

I've looked at Qt, which would work for pure opensource work, but I don't want to deal with the Liscense issues at work.

Is there a crossplatform IDE that works really nice connecting up to database's through something like ODBC???
    Thanks,
    JT

Beans

Re: Cross Platform Rad tools

I would recommend Netbeans. Cross-platform and powerful. Eclipse is also a possibility.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas thomas View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm hoping for some advise here.
    I've been working with Linux for about a year or so and really really like it.
    At work, I guess I would describe myself as a self supported super user. In other words I do a lot of programming but I'm not part of the IT staff.

I do alot of VB6 programming interacting with Oracle and Access databases. I am addicted to Ms data environment.

I need to start programming in something other than VB6 but I want into invest in learning cross-form tools. In other words I wish to avoid .Net if I can help it.
    My personal interests have been in learning C++ but I don't think I would really consider that a weapon of choice for RAD.

I've looked at Qt, which would work for pure opensource work, but I don't want to deal with the Liscense issues at work.

Is there a crossplatform IDE that works really nice connecting up to database's through something like ODBC???
    Thanks,
    JT
    What type of applications do you want to develop?

Applications for linux?
    Web applications?
    Cross platform desktop applications?
    ...?

There are lots of options out there, each with pros and cons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

RealBasic, GTK+Glade, Qt+Qt Designer are the ones I can think of

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

We've been using wxWidgets with the Databaselayer add-on to work with ODBC. You could aways use Python with wxPython for GUI.
    Windows is easier than Linux, just like crapping your pants is easier than going to the bathroom. DR_K13

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Majorix View Post
    I would recommend Netbeans. Cross-platform and powerful. Eclipse is also a possibility.
    Thank you for the suggestions.
    I need to digest this a little bit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetBeans

http://wiki.netbeans.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_(software)

Beans
    Distro

Eclipse and Netbeans can be used for all types of development: C/C++, Python, Groovy, J2SE, J2EE, PHP, C# etc...

By choosing either of these IDE's (thats all they are IDE's / Editors) you wont get any closer to choosing an effective tool set thats best for your problem. (E.g. Which runtime? Python, JVM, Mono etc...)

We really need to know what type of development you are trying to do. Or at least what you are trying to archive. Otherwise you will be left with a sub par answer...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tinny View Post
    What type of applications do you want to develop?

Applications for linux?
    Web applications?
    Cross platform desktop applications?
    ...?

There are lots of options out there, each with pros and cons.
    Well, I think my main focus at this moment is that I want to develop cross platform desktop applications. As I said, I do quite a bit of application programming at work, industrial engineering sort of stuff and use Linux practically exclusively at home. I'm quite willing to learn the basics of a new language on my home(own) time, but I need to be stay productive at work(not a lot of time for a learning curve). Typically, the kind of stuff that I at work is use vb6 data environment using sql to data-mine production data into my control of choice, the hierarchical flexgrid. I very much love the compare statement, which is an incredible tool to be able to problematically sort lists in ways which would be difficult (if not impossible) to accomplish within standard SQL calls.

Anyway, as I said, VB6 is becoming a bit of a dinosaur, but I to start thinking about starting moving to something else. It's just that I have a limited amount of time to invest and I want to maximize my return on my personal investment in being able to apply this to a Linux as well as Ms environment.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I think my main focus at this moment is that I want to develop cross platform desktop applications. As I said, I do quite a bit of application programming at work, industrial engineering sort of stuff and use Linux practically exclusively at home. I'm quite willing to learn the basics of a new language on my home(own) time, but I need to be stay productive at work(not a lot of time for a learning curve). Typically, the kind of stuff that I at work is use vb6 data environment using sql to data-mine production data into my control of choice, the hierarchical flexgrid. I very much love the compare statement, which is an incredible tool to be able to problematically sort lists in ways which would be difficult (if not impossible) to accomplish within standard SQL calls.

Anyway, as I said, VB6 is becoming a bit of a dinosaur, but I to start thinking about starting moving to something else. It's just that I have a limited amount of time to invest and I want to maximize my return on my personal investment in being able to apply this to a Linux as well as Ms environment.
    Oh industrial automation... (I used to work in this area...)

So you would probably be interested in extracting data from SCADA systems and perhaps interfacing with Modbus and OPC?

Based on that I would be looking at either Java or .Net (.Net also has a linux implementation called Mono).

Are you interested in just extracting process monitoring type information? Or do you want to perform control type operations?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    RealBasic, GTK+Glade, Qt+Qt Designer are the ones I can think of
    I'm not familiar with RealBasic, I need to research this a littlebit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REALbasic
    I guess that its not open source... There home page got me sort of irritated since, I had to start jumping through a bunch of pages searching for there cost structure...

I'm just starting to play with GTK+Glade, and gtkmm at home.
    Would I be better of starting out with Wxwidgets?

I also, playaround a little bit with the Qtdemo. That impressed me. There licensing is a little hinky and expensive if you don't want to publish your code. So I think they're out..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast