Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frets on Fire GLX error!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Frets on Fire GLX error!

Hi guys,

Problem. Big Problem. I'm running OpenSuse right now, and I installed Frets on Fire, but when I click its icon it does not startup. It tried running it with terminal, here's what I got...
    File "/usr/games/fretsonfire", line 68, in <module>
    engine = GameEngine(config)
    File "/usr/share/games/fretsonfire/GameEngine.py", line 155, in __init__
    self.video.setMode((width, height), fullscreen = fullscreen, multisamples = multisamples)
    File "/usr/share/games/fretsonfire/Video.py", line 69, in setMode
    self.screen = pygame.display.set_mode(resolution, flags)
    pygame.error: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
    And here's what I got when I ran it with sudo:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/games/fretsonfire", line 68, in <module>
    engine = GameEngine(config)
    File "/usr/share/games/fretsonfire/GameEngine.py", line 155, in __init__
    self.video.setMode((width, height), fullscreen = fullscreen, multisamples = multisamples)
    File "/usr/share/games/fretsonfire/Video.py", line 69, in setMode
    self.screen = pygame.display.set_mode(resolution, flags)
    pygame.error: OpenGL not available
    I have no idea what this is saying, I hope some of you Linux boffins will!

Thanks, Any help is much appreciated.
    "If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... Oh wait! He does!"

My PC: Ubuntu 8.04, 1GB RAM, Intel Core 2 CPU 1.86GHz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Frets on Fire GLX error!

What source did you use to install it? I replied to your other thread about installing it. If you compile from source, you have to install any dependencies manually. If you installed from the repos, or one click install, then just try reinstalling. Do you have a 3D graphics card with the correct driver installed?
    Last edited by 67GTA; November 16th, 2008 at 04:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I do have a 3d Graphics Card with proper drivers, I basically installed it from an rpm Package (did not compile it myself), and I have all the dependencies installed I check that...but doesn't the error message indicate anything at all? Is there some package I must install?
    "If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... Oh wait! He does!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

bump

Beans
    Distro

Did you install it from the Opensuse repos?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

no, it wasn't there, i found it here: http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat...oarch.rpm.html

I would be willing to compile, but I would need aa tutorial please...I also wanna know how to uninstall software that haas been copiled from source...

thanks for your interest btw mate

Beans
    Distro

First I would uninstall it. Then use the instructions here to add the Opensuse Games repo http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=983233 Then install Frets on Fire from the Opensuse Games repo. Some RPM packages(and some poorly packaged DEB packages) do not have dependency lists included. If not, the package manager won't know what else to pull in at the time of installation. Also, there are different versions of packages that may need dependencies/libs that are not the same version on your system. It is always best to install from your distros repos if possible. Un-installing something installed from source can be tricky. Look in the tarball you downloaded for a read me file, or uninstall script. If there is not one of these present, then you will have to find the files/libs that were installed and delete them manually. You might be able to search for the package name in the file system and track them down. What did you install from source?

Beans

Frets on Fire is a python game... you don't need to compile it. But the game has lots of problems: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=392750. Up to where I know Debian/Ubuntu still have the same problems.
    Some of the problems seem to be because of python 2.5 incompatibilities... and you don't want to downgrade to 2.4.

Even on Windows people says 1.2.512 is too buggy. And since the project looked like dead people started to use a fork: http://code.google.com/p/fofix/ (based on an older version of FoF)
    Recently version 1.3.110 of the original Frets on Fire has been released. The sound problem is fixed, but there are still graphic glitches and you need to downgrade a file to see the menus.

The fork, based on an old version and more alive, is the thing that best works. But the latest stable version needs some svg vs png hacking... so I would wait to the next version that stops using svgs at all.

If the Ubuntu package works without problems add a comment to https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=392750, but if doesn't... you will need to wait for upstream to fix the bugs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by 67GTA View Post
    First I would uninstall it. Then use the instructions here to add the Opensuse Games repo http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=983233 Then install Frets on Fire from the Opensuse Games repo. Some RPM packages(and some poorly packaged DEB packages) do not have dependency lists included. If not, the package manager won't know what else to pull in at the time of installation. Also, there are different versions of packages that may need dependencies/libs that are not the same version on your system. It is always best to install from your distros repos if possible. Un-installing something installed from source can be tricky. Look in the tarball you downloaded for a read me file, or uninstall script. If there is not one of these present, then you will have to find the files/libs that were installed and delete them manually. You might be able to search for the package name in the file system and track them down. What did you install from source?
    I did not install FoF from source, but from that package link I sent you. Hold on a bit let me add that repo...and how can I uninstall the curreeent installed FoF?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by 67GTA View Post
    Hey, I installed the game from repos and its still dont work...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast